[SOLVED] EDIMAX EW-7833UAC 18.3

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
d_that

[SOLVED] EDIMAX EW-7833UAC 18.3

Post by d_that »

Hi all!

I've been wanting to migrate to Linux and bought this wifi adapter since it was supported. Was able to figure out how to install Mint 18.3 on RAID1 so felt very accomplished! Not even a half hour later, I updated to kernel 4.16 via the Update Manager and it killed my wifi so accomplished feeling gone. :oops:

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to check, possibilities I could try? I luckily ran a Timeshift backup so just restored, but would like to understand how I can upgrade to 4.16 and have my wifi.

If it's not too much of a noob question - do only the supported kernels show up in Update Manager? Ok yeah I'm a noob :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: EDIMAX EW-7833UAC 18.3

Post by JeremyB »

Try https://github.com/zebulon2/rtl8814au.git as I know it does work with 4.15 kernels. Yes only supported kernels show in the Update Manager
d_that

Post by d_that »

Thanks, Jeremy. I actually decided to also reach out to Edimax and here is their official response in case it helps anyone. I verified it works! :)

https://edimax.freshdesk.com/support/so ... -than-v4-4
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I use the github version with a custom dkms.conf file on Ubuntu 18.04, the dkms.conf contents:

Code: Select all

MAKE="'make' all KVER=${kernelver}"
CLEAN="'make' clean"
BUILT_MODULE_NAME="8814au"
BUILT_MODULE_LOCATION=.
PACKAGE_NAME=rtl8814au
PACKAGE_VERSION=4.3.21
REMAKE_INITRD=yes
DEST_MODULE_LOCATION="/updates/dkms"
AUTOINSTALL=yes
d_that

Post by d_that »

For some reason, while it worked after first and second reboots, it did not work after third reboot, but a quick remove and reinstall with Jeremy's custom dkms and it's up! Thanks again, Jeremy!
d_that

Post by d_that »

Just in case someone else is having the same issue I am. Every kernel 4.15 update I install breaks the wifi. I removed the driver via the instructions on the edimax site mentioned earlier in this post and re-ran the dkms build and install to get it to work. The dkms.conf edit from Jeremy is unchanged so no need to worry about that.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

If the next kernel update breaks it post results for

Code: Select all

modinfo 8814au
The most I have had to do after a kernel update is pull out the wifi dongle and put it back in to make it work

Return to “Networking”