Linux Mint does not recognise wireless

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
irene_eee

Linux Mint does not recognise wireless

Post by irene_eee »

Hello! I have a problem with Mint. My internet connection was working perfectly until suddenly the pc cannot see any of the wireless networks around. I tried FN/F2 but nothing changes. Any suggestions?
Thanks...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint does not recognise wireless

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Irene_eee.

Please, post the screen output, which the terminal command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
will display. Execute the command exactly as it has been typed. Mark the complete screen output generated by inxi and paste it into your next reply.
It will give us a concise overview of your system, its hardware and the driver software in use. This includes the network devices, which inxi will detect.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
irene_eee

Post by irene_eee »

Hi Karl,
I try to sent it by photo as I am sending from a smartphone,but the file appears to be very big. Probably I have to write you the results ;p
irene_eee

Post by irene_eee »

System: Host: oil-X55C Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic i686
bits:32 gcc: 7.3.0 Desktop : MATE 1.20.1 (Gtk
3.22.30-1ubuntu1) Distro : Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: laptop System: ASUSTek product: X55C
v: 1.0 serial: N/A Mobo: ASUSTek
model: X55C.407 v:1.0 serialN/A
BIOS: American megatrends v: X55C.407
date: 11/09/2012
Battery: BAT0: charge: 39.9 Wh 100.0%
condition: 39.9/57.7 Wh (69%)
model:ASUSTek K55--47 status:full
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-2328M (-MT-MCP-)
arch: Sandy Bridge rev.7 cache: 3072 KB
flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2
ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8779 clock speeds:
max: 2200MHz 1: 803MHz 2: 842MHz 3:954MHz
4:868 MHz
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, irene_eee.

The output which inxi displays inside the terminal window is pure text. Mark it and paste it into your next reply.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
irene_eee

Post by irene_eee »

Graphics: Card:Intel 2nd Generation Core Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 Display server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev, vesa) Resolution: 1366×768@60.02hz, 1366×768@59.79hz OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 version:3.3 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5 Direct renderer: Yes

(i do not have internet in laptop so i am cannot copy paste the text)
irene_eee

Post by irene_eee »

Audio: Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Def. Audio Controller driver : snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-20-generic
Network: Card: Qualcom Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet driver: alx port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0 IF: enp3s0 state:down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total size: 320.1GB (4.3% used) HD-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54323 size: 320.1GB
irene_eee

Post by irene_eee »

Partition: ID-1: /size : 293G used: 13G (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 60.0C mobo: N/A Fan speeds (inrpm): cpu: 3000
Info: Processes: 172 Uptime 3:29 Memory: 665.6/5951.2MB Init: systemd runlevel:5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0 Client:Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56

ouffff....that's all!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, irene_eee.

Although it is hard to read the inxi report, hacked into pieces, I dare say that inxi does not display anything about any wifi interface at all.
It is as if your machine does not have one.

Code: Select all

Network: Card: Qualcom Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet driver: alx port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
	IF: enp3s0 state:down mac: <filter>
This is the wired ethernet card. No wifi interface mentioned.
Could it be that you have switched off the wifi interface inside the Bios perhaps?

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
irene_eee

Post by irene_eee »

Thank you Karl,
am guessing i have to go to BIOS settup to check that right? But it seems I cannot enter Bios, as my laptop only runs the mint. When i press F2 or ESC it is just a black screen. How come this happens?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, irenee_eee.

The Bios is totally independent of the operating system, which you use. You do not enter the Bios from Mint.
You will have to press <F2>, if <F2> is the function key to enter the Bios, right after powering on.
The timespan during which pressing <F2> will take you to the Bios may be really short.
If in doubt, you will have to consult the hardware manual of your notebook. (Usually not more than a thin leaflet these days.)

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
irene_eee

Post by irene_eee »

Karl thanks you for the quick respond..
obviously I did not describe in detail what I did. That is what I meant. F2 is supposed to be the key for ASUS systems but when i press it - the time the computer starts, not from mint- the screen remains black but the pc sounds as it is actually working. That is why i do not understand...
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

As I understand the Asus webpage, here, you have to press <F2>, keep it pressed while you press the power button to switch on the machine. You have to keep <F2> pressed till the Bios screen appears.
At least this is what the Asus FAQ tells.
In case this does not work on your notebook, hm, then I do not know what to do else, because my notebook is a Dell, not an Asus. And my netbook is an Acer. On both machines I can enter the Bios by pressing <F2> right after pressing the power-on button.
Lifeline
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

Hi
Does the wifi symbol on the panel just show a single horizontal dotted line ??

If so try clicking on the icon on the panel and click on the bar to switch wireless off , change from 1 to 0
wait a few minutes and click on the same bar to turn it back and see if that changes the icon to showing some signal strength.
If and only if you still have a just a single dotted horizontal line on that icon , try rebooting the wireless router.
I've seen some odd behaviour with wifi just dropping out, while other devices are still connected and functional near by.
I don't know yet in my case whether its a LM19 thing or a router problem, I'm still investigating., but it may be a similar problem to yours.

hth
irene_eee

Post by irene_eee »

Hi,
Sorry for the late response, my laptop just refuses to enter bios in any way. The screen remains black.
The wireless connection symbol is a square one with an x in the bottom right corner. I also do not have access to the router as it is not mine. The internet is working, though, as other devices connect properly.
I will have access to an ethernet connection today, but have no idea what to do whatsoever.... Any ideas?

Thanks,
Irene

Return to “Networking”