[SOLVED] HP 14-bp000nf wireless not working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sacha

[SOLVED] HP 14-bp000nf wireless not working

Post by Sacha »

I've just installed Linux Mint 19 on my daughters new HP 14-bp000nf laptop. Everything went fine but I wasn't prompted to connect to the Internet during installation and when the install was finished the wifi connection wasn't detected.

There doesn't appear to be a physical wifi switch.

I read up on this and one thing that came up was that it seems I should have avoided enabling secure boot during install, so eventually I decided to reinstall without secure boot and with an ethernet connection during installation. But the wifi still doesn't work.

I've tried various means to detect the wifi card and download drivers for it, but I'm more confused than when I started, and following procedures for other hp laptops seems a bit hit and miss.

Does anyone have any advice?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sacha

Re: HP 14-bp000nf wireless not working

Post by Sacha »

The network controller in question appears to be: Realtek RTL8723DE. Apparently I can download this and run some terminal commands to install it, so I'll try that first.
Sacha

Post by Sacha »

I tried the instructions on this page: https://subinsb.com/install-realtek-d72 ... erequisite

Having applied all the relevant commands given to various users in the discussion section of that post, my terminal announced SUCCESS!

But my system still fails to detect the wifi...
Sacha

Post by Sacha »

Can it really be that no one has an answer for me? :(

I would have thought that since this driver has been available for some months, it would by now be automatically included in Linux Mint updates?

But it's still difficult to understand why there's no wifi if the driver has apparently been successfully installed...
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Follow JeremyB's suggestion in this thread :
viewtopic.php?t=270832
Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Sacha

Post by Sacha »

Great, thanks for that link. I disabled secure boot in the BIOS, then followed the instructions, and it now works!

The signal is weak (around 40%) but I think these hp laptops must just have crap antennas...
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [SOLVED] HP 14-bp000nf wireless not working

Post by JeremyB »

Try the following and see if it makes any difference, the first command will disconnect wifi but the second command should bring it back on

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -r rtl8723de
sudo modprobe rtl8723de ant_sel=2

Return to “Networking”