[Solved] WiFi non functional -- Again

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] WiFi non functional -- Again

Post by jbh911 »

I'm away from home and no access to Ethernet connection - WiFi ?? I'm using an iPad
See my post of Thu Aug 09 2018 11:55am for details of system.
$ rfkill list results
0: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no

No mention of 2: Acer-wireless LAN

Next step? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 8) jbh911
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: WiFi non functional -- Again

Post by AZgl1800 »

did you allow a new kernel to be installed?
if so, can you back up to the previous kernel?

and have you been making Timeshift backups and try to backup to a time when all was good?

failing that, purchase one of the Panda PAU USB WiFi adapters, the drivers for those are in the kernels and they always work........ at least for me. YMMV

Panda PAU06 which I have is 2.4gHz only https://www.amazon.com/Panda-Wireless-P ... B00JDVRCI0

the 09 is more expensive, but better unit https://www.amazon.com/Panda-Wireless-P ... B01LY35HGO

they have other models, do NOT get one of the little stubby USB plugin WiFi adapters, the range is severely crippled...

this one is the creme de la plume for external WiFi adapters, it is a 2 watt transmitter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035APGP6/?t ... ess2016-20

it Supports drivers for Windows 2000, XP 32/64, Vista 32/64, Windows 7, Linux (2.4.x/2.6.x),and Mac (10.4.x/10.5.x)

this link talks about the Top of the Line models.

https://www.wirelesshack.org/top-linux- ... pters.html
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
najeb3

Post by najeb3 »

I usually face this issue and find the wifi not working after certain updates.

I solved the issue by using:

Code: Select all

rfkill list all
Then I find hard blocking is ON. By doing Fn + F2 at the same time hard blocking becomes OFF. After restarting the computer, the wifi will work again.

I do not know if wifi icon is on your keyboard or it is a physical button.
I hope this helps.
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbh911 »

Thanks AZgl1500 for all the info.
The answer to your questions are yes and yes - with no change. Hoping to get on to an Ethernet connection tomorrow to progress a solution.

Thanks najeb3 for your advice. There are no blocks. It's "loss" of 2: Acer-wireless LAN in the rfkill list result that's the problem

Thanks again to you both. Cheers jbh911. :D m
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I too loose my WiFi with a new kernel upgrade.

that was why I bought the Panda PAU06 as the kernels seem to have the drivers for it already.
that allowed me to find a good driver, and install it via the internet.

wish I had spent a few dollars more and got a dual band version. :evil:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbh911 »

Have taken another step, booting laptop from a USB flash drive with Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64 bit. Wireless icon appeared in bottom panel, WiFi sources showed up including my hot spot which I've selected. Listing in Network Connections under WiFi as Auto AndroidAP and Last Used. Now. All that indicates to me the wireless chip is functioning. Is that a correct call? The chip is Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (rev c4). There are no blocks. So, where to now?
Hopefully I'll get access to an Ethernet connection tomorrow.
Kernel in use is 4.4.0--21 Apr 2016

jbh911. :?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

jbh911 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:06 am Have taken another step, booting laptop from a USB flash drive with Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64 bit. Wireless icon appeared in bottom panel, WiFi sources showed up including my hot spot which I've selected. Listing in Network Connections under WiFi as Auto AndroidAP and Last Used. Now. All that indicates to me the wireless chip is functioning. Is that a correct call? The chip is Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (rev c4). There are no blocks. So, where to now?
Hopefully I'll get access to an Ethernet connection tomorrow.
Kernel in use is 4.4.0--21 Apr 2016

jbh911. :?
if you delete the last used connections, you should be able to click on the WiFi signals showing and asked for a password.
as that is an Intel Wireless adapter, it should have the drivers in the kernel.
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbh911 »

by AZgl1500
if you delete the last used connections, you should be able to click on the WiFi signals showing and asked for a password.
as that is an Intel Wireless adapter, it should have the drivers in the kernel.
Back from kernel 4.4.0-134 to 4.4.0-133. No change. No WiFi site showing up & 1: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN missing.
$ rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes

I've run JeremyB's Wireless script ( kernel Linux 4.4.0-133-generic #159 ) so obviously had a WiFi connection.
The URL is http://termbin.com/qkzg
Help in getting this sorted would be greatly appreciated :P
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbh911 »

Have booted this laptop from a live Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit USB ( kernel 4.4.0-21-generic #37 ) and established WiFi via a mobile phone hot spot. I've run JeremyB's Wireless Script with results at http://termbin.com/bjf1 all from live Ubuntu 16.04, ie accessing Linux Mint Forums and updating same.
So, why can't I access the internet vis Firefox with kernel Linux 4.4.0-133-generic #159?
Is it an issue with Firefox and some other issues?

I'll get access to Ethernet on Monday and install Chromium and see how the WiFi connection goes then. :o
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

jbh911 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:36 pm Have booted this laptop from a live Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit USB ( kernel 4.4.0-21-generic #37 ) and established WiFi via a mobile phone hot spot. I've run JeremyB's Wireless Script with results at http://termbin.com/bjf1 all from live Ubuntu 16.04, ie accessing Linux Mint Forums and updating same.
So, why can't I access the internet vis Firefox with kernel Linux 4.4.0-133-generic #159?
Is it an issue with Firefox and some other issues?

I'll get access to Ethernet on Monday and install Chromium and see how the WiFi connection goes then. :o
it has nothing to do with a web browser,
it has to do with the drivers for your WiFi adapter not being included in a specific kernel.

I have been thru this many times, and JeremyB finally figured out a script for my laptop that makes it permanent between kernels.
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbh911 »

Thanks AZgl1500 for the feedback.
I've got it sorted by stepping back through kernel until I've found one that is compatible with my WiFi.
All good. :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jbh911 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:20 pm
I've got it sorted by stepping back through kernel until I've found one that is compatible with my WiFi.
In the short term that might be ok just to get you going, but longer-term you'll expose yourself to security issues. It would be best if you got the latest kernel functioning properly with your hardware.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Solved] WiFi non functional -- Again

Post by jbh911 »

Code: Select all

catweazel wrote
 													» Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:06 pm
In the short term that might be ok just to get you going, but longer-term you'll expose yourself to security issues. It would be best if you got the latest kernel functioning properly with your hardware.
Catweazel, you have my attention! Went from kernel 4.4.0-134 to 4.4.0-131 which was successful re restoring WiFi.
I then removed 4.4.0-53 which was non effective with WiFi. However, during the removal process kernel 4.10.0-38 was generated and is top of the Grub boot "tree" - and is functional for WiFi. Which raises the issue re the security levels of 4.10.0-38 vs 4.4.0-131!
I have an kernel update, level 4, ( 4.15.0-34.37 )available which has the security flag, must admit I'm tempted to give it a go. However I'm 430 kms away from home and will be for a few more weeks I'll stick with a kernel and a WiFi system that's working.
jbh911 :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jbh911 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:48 am Catweazel, you have my attention! Went from kernel 4.4.0-134 to 4.4.0-131 which was successful re restoring WiFi.
4.4 is LTS, IIRC, so you should be ok.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Personally,

the kernel Security Issue is, in my opinion, Grossly Over worked with Paranoia.

Stay with what is working now, and don't worry about it.

I doubt seriously that you frequent the Dark Web where the hackers are.

I have never, ever, once, had a single problem with any of the Linux PCs that I have built up in the last 3 years.... and the first one went 18 months and I never updated it, ever, period. that was 17.2 Cinnamon on an old Dell and it just hummed along happy as a lark, without a worry.

I can understand wanting to keep our toys "up to date", but anything above levels 1 or 2 is wasted time and effort for the most part.

Drifting away from Linux, my Win7 Desktop has been frozen in time now for 3 years....
not one single update has ever been applied to that one....
I keep 2 or 3 Images of the HDD, but that is all I do.... make a new one about every 6 months so that all of the data is "up to date", I could care less about the Security Updates.... that PC has been online since 2008 and it has never, ever, experienced any security problems.

the various Anti-Virus programs have been giving me a running list of "so called threats", and nearly all of them are "pups", just about non invasive.
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbh911 »

Thanks AZgl1500 and catweazel for the feedback, much appreciated.

jbh911 :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:20 am the kernel Security Issue is, in my opinion, Grossly Over worked with Paranoia.
Until you get hax0red. Nevertheless you're right, there is no real reason to update anything if everything is running fine.
wahidovic

Post by wahidovic »

I have been thru this many times, and JeremyB finally figured out a script for my laptop

Return to “Networking”