HP laptop wifi not working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bromley

HP laptop wifi not working

Post by Bromley »

Hi, I've been using mint for a year or so now. I got fed up with Microsoft glitches and update issues. Since having it on my laptop my father showed an interest in Mint. We have installed it successfullyon his HP laptop but the WiFi is not working. It worked before the install. I am not very computer smart and the Terminal I find very mysterious, I have checked for a WiFi switch, with no joy, but I think there is a software issue. PLease help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: HP laptop wifi not working

Post by JoeFootball »

Bromley wrote:... HP laptop but the WiFi is not working. It worked before the install.
I had the same problem with my HP laptop, but this article from the Easy Linux Tips Project solved it.

For me, it was the "Turn the kernel module acer_wmi off" section that had what I needed.

Joe
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Post results from terminal for

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
jbrines
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbrines »

I had the same problem on a HP laptop, the wifi icon on the bar above the keyboard had to be pressed to turn the wifi on
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

JeremyB wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:37 pm Post results from terminal for

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
Here are the results. It doesn't mean anything to me! Hope you can make sense of this.

john@john-HP-Notebook:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Limited BCM43142 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4365] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company BCM43142 802.11b/g/n [103c:804a]
Kernel modules: wl
03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 07)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [103c:81f1]
Kernel driver in use: r8169
Kernel modules: r8169
john@john-HP-Notebook:~$
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Ok you have a working driver, check Secure Boot in BIOS/UEFI and make sure it is disabled
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

We have success!
Thanks ever so much JeremyB. Disablinhg the secure boot did the trick. As soon as I switched back on the wifi networks were alive and kicking.
As I mentioned before I'm no computer expert, I had to google how to get into the bios on my Dads HP laptop. But I've learnt something new today and that makes it a good day! :D
I even managed to get a new Printer/scanner driver installed...all by myself! :lol:
Many thanks again to all who responded in my time of need. May you all have a great weekend.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

JeremyB wrote:check Secure Boot in BIOS/UEFI and make sure it is disabled
JB, once again you amaze me. :) I would have never thought of that, and I cannot argue with success here, but have to ask. How does Secure Boot prevent wireless networking?

Joe

Return to “Networking”