HP Stream - No wireless extensions - Mint 19

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kinch

HP Stream - No wireless extensions - Mint 19

Post by Kinch »

Hi friends,

I've been using this little HP Stream 11 netbook I had lying around for running D&D, but Windows 10 kept throwing a fit that there wasn't enough space on the tiny 32gb ssd to update. Finally calling it quits, I've installed Mint.

I've used the Mint distro a few times in the past without any issues, but I seem to be experiencing a common problem with the Broadcom network card on this device. I've been browsing several forums, attempting several fixes and installations of Mint without any luck. Chili555 has had some enlightening information across several threads.

It's entirely possible I've come across the right fix and just did it incorrectly or missed a step, so I'm willing to just start all the way over. Hopefully I can have better luck with the guidance of some of you nice folks.

I've done one last clean reinstall, only updating the distro and collecting hopefully any information you might need.

https://pastebin.com/5x04uSFi

Though I'll probably be going to bed soon, please let me know if you need any additional info or would like me to run anything.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: HP Stream - No wireless extensions - Mint 19

Post by JeremyB »

The correct and only fix for that wifi is

Code: Select all

sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source
You will need to disable Secure Boot in BIOS/UEFI to allow the kernel to load the module
Kinch

Re: HP Stream - No wireless extensions - Mint 19

Post by Kinch »

Ah! I've been failing to disable Secure Boot. Worked perfectly this time.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Networking”