First Time User - Question about Authentication

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
perfectreign

First Time User - Question about Authentication

Post by perfectreign »

I have an HP EliteBook. I added Mint as a dual-boot option and was running it fine. I'm on a wireless guest network that requires an acceptance page after joining.

Today I rebooted because i had taken the laptop home. When I started, the wifi connects but wont' bring up the authentication page. Hence, i have no connectivity to the internet. I've sopped and restarted the network and even forgotten the network.

I'm on an HP Eitebook with kernel 4.15.0-30 64-bit on Cinnamon 3.8.8

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: First Time User - Question about Authentication

Post by gm10 »

Hmm. Only thing I can think of that you don't have this (usually pre-installed) package installed, run this command in a terminal window to make sure:

Code: Select all

apt install --reinstall network-manager-config-connectivity-ubuntu
PS: Also welcome to the forums! :)
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

Following up on what gm10 wrote, you can test it by running the following command in a command terminal (I've run the command and provided the expected output):

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache policy network-manager-config-connectivity-ubuntu
network-manager-config-connectivity-ubuntu:
  Installed: 1.10.6-2ubuntu1
  Candidate: 1.10.6-2ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 1.10.6-2ubuntu1 500
        500 http://mirror.cogentco.com/pub/linux/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://mirror.cogentco.com/pub/linux/ubuntu bionic/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Okay, on the apt-cache i get an unable to locate package. I get a "unable to fetch archives" on the apt install command.

I'll take the device home and check it on my wifi.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

perfectreign wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:47 pm Okay, on the apt-cache i get an unable to locate package. I get a "unable to fetch archives" on the apt install command.

I'll take the device home and check it on my wifi.
That package is not available in Mint 18 but your OP seemed to indicate you are on Mint 19.

Return to “Networking”