Broadband USB Key doesn't work with Mint 19

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kryssb

Broadband USB Key doesn't work with Mint 19

Post by kryssb »

Hello everybody,
I think I have found some problem in Mint 19. I have a Huawei E1692 Broadband USB key that used to work flawlessly with LMDE2 (and Windows 7/8/10) and I can't manage to use with Mint 19. I tried on a Dell XPS 13 laptop, a Dell minitower PC and a HP Pavilion. I tried kernels 4.15 and 4.9. The device is correctly recognized, but the network manager does not allow me to do anything useful with it. Screenshots are attached. When I connect it I am asked the password (OK) , then the PIN (OK)
Schermata del 2018-09-16 20-37-20.png
, then the device is correctly listed in the network tray as a Broadband connection device
Schermata del 2018-09-16 20-37-44.png
. The point is that I just can't activate it. If I switch it on, nothing happens. The "Settings" button in the lower-right corner is disabled
Schermata del 2018-09-16 20-38-11.png
, but I should instead be able to configure some parameters of the connection there. Instead, I am totally stuck. Switching the connection on and off has no effect and no button is active. So this really looks more like a problem in the graphical interface of Mint 19 rather than some kernel or driver trouble.
I get exactly the same behavior on three very different machines, all with Mint 19.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jape3

Re: Broadband USB Key doesn't work with Mint 19

Post by jape3 »

Sounds like the same issue I was having too. viewtopic.php?f=53&t=274740

The workaround is to create the connection using the terminal, after that it worked for me. I followed the instructions given here: https://docs.ubuntu.com/core/en/stacks/ ... onnections

Adding the connection works with this command:
nmcli c add type gsm ifname <interface> con-name <name> apn <operator_apn>
kryssb

Re: Broadband USB Key doesn't work with Mint 19

Post by kryssb »

Thank you! Yes, I confirm, it's exactly the same problem. After adding the connection as you suggested, the network manager allows also setting its parameters. From my point of view it looks like a missing permission or mismatched parameter in a call in the GUI interface. The operating system works well, only the graphical user interface needs "a bump" to go on.

Return to “Networking”