Newbie has broken WiFi connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anthonyl

Newbie has broken WiFi connection

Post by anthonyl »

From my original install a couple of months ago until yesterday my WiFi has run fine on my HP EliteBook 8440p in both Win 7 and in Mint.

Yesterday I tried to set up a Linux distro under VirtualManager and thought I'd eventually succeeded*. However this morning I cannot connect via WiFi under Linux though Win7 is fine, as is wired.

I suspect I've broken something with regard to passwords as I repeatedly and circularly get asked for the Wireless Key, KDE wallet comes up which I don't recall from before, and I get "Wireless interface - no secrets provided" message though I am entering the correct key and all other devices in the household are connecting to the router via WiFi without issue.

* My first attempt was with KDE-Neon but I could not get any WiFi connectivity. I set up another VM using Mint-xfce and that appeared to work fine and I was intending to continue its setup today when I encountered this issue.

Not sure what info is useful to provide:

~ $ cat /etc/linuxmint/info
RELEASE=18.1
CODENAME=serena
EDITION="KDE 64-bit"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 18.1 Serena"
DESKTOP=KDE

~ $ rfkill list all
0: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
1: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
2: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
3: phy0: Wireless LAN

~ $ inxi -Nn
Network: Card-1: Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: b4:99:ba:e8:01:f3
Card-2: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlo1 state: down mac: 00:24:d7:be:cb:7c

and the SSID is shown on the list of available WiFis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anthonyl

Re: Newbie has broken WiFi connection

Post by anthonyl »

Got it working - not sure what totally happened but I had the "brainwave" of setting up my mobile as a hotspot and I connected fine to that so took the view that something had got corrupted with my router's SSID entry.

I disabled KDE Wallet via settings.
Rebooted the router.
The computer automatically connected without further intervention.

Return to “Networking”