Google Wifi Router

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaydee920

Google Wifi Router

Post by jaydee920 »

Hey all. I have Mint installed onto a USB drive. I was using a TPLINK AC1200 router and all was fine. (Computer was a Older Dell with a Centrino WIFI card). After getting a new Google router it refuses to connect. After entering the password it tries to connect but then prompts for the password again. I took the usb out to a different computer with Mint installed on the HDD (working just fine) and booted off the USB. Same problem. It will not connect. I then updated to Mint 19 and still having the same issue. I have tried entering the bssid mac with no luck either. If I plug my old router back in it connects right away. I've tried searching around and found nothing related to Google wifi / Mint issues.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Google Wifi Router

Post by JeremyB »

Check the new routers encryption settings, use WPA2-PSK with AES/CCMP without WEP/WPA/TKIP
jaydee920

Post by jaydee920 »

Sadly there are no options for this. The router is setup only through a phone app. No advanced settings at all. I was able to make it work with Mint 18.3 but any update passed this does not seem to work.
montg0w3n

Post by montg0w3n »

OP, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I also am having the same problem with Mint 19.

For a little more information, I connected earlier today at work with no problems (not a Google WiFi router). I came home and was unable to connect to my Google WiFi router through Mint 19. What I mean by not connect is that I am able to see the connection, enter the authentication information, but after 30 seconds or so, Network Manager prompts me for the authentication information again. I was able to turn my phone into a hotspot and connect to it (the phone is connected to the Google WiFi router, BTW). I tried manually editing the wireless network file under /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections as described here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... ZGmcGT-ljk but I had no luck with this being an actual resolution.

JeremyB, the OP was unfortunately right, with this router we're unable to do any advanced customization to the security settings, but there must be a work around for it.
montg0w3n

Post by montg0w3n »

montg0w3n wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:20 pm OP, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I also am having the same problem with Mint 19.

For a little more information, I connected earlier today at work with no problems (not a Google WiFi router). I came home and was unable to connect to my Google WiFi router through Mint 19. What I mean by not connect is that I am able to see the connection, enter the authentication information, but after 30 seconds or so, Network Manager prompts me for the authentication information again. I was able to turn my phone into a hotspot and connect to it (the phone is connected to the Google WiFi router, BTW). I tried manually editing the wireless network file under /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections as described here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... ZGmcGT-ljk but I had no luck with this being an actual resolution.

JeremyB, the OP was unfortunately right, with this router we're unable to do any advanced customization to the security settings, but there must be a work around for it.

Luckily I was able to work around this issue with WICD. I was able to refine the type of authentication being used for the WPA2 security (passphrase, PSK Hex, Hex, etc.) Selecting Hex allowed me to connect to the network. Unfortunately, Network Manager still doesn't allow me to be more specific with their menu options, ergo I'd still be suffering from the same malady without WICD's more advanced menus.

Return to “Networking”