tp-link TL-MR6400 and Linux Mint 18.3 [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DickyOZ

tp-link TL-MR6400 and Linux Mint 18.3 [SOLVED]

Post by DickyOZ »

I have just bought a tp-link TL-MR6400 4G modem/router to use for 4G LTE internet access instead of the hotspot on my phone. It has better reception and runs twice as fast as the phone. I set it up from my Win-10 PC and all was fine. I can connect to my 4G network from my Win-10 PC, IPAD etc. but the Linux Mint 18.3 PC can't access the internet through it. From Linux I can log on to the modem and see all the settings etc. But that is as far as I can go. No internet access - it eventually times out. I have seen a couple of other posts on this subject but they haven't helped me solve the problem. To compound matters Linux is running (badly, it boots quickly but takes forever to log into a user account) on an AMD based PC. Is the Modem simply incompatible with Mint 18.3?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DickyOZ

Re: tp-link TL-MR6400 and Linux Mint 18.3

Post by DickyOZ »

After a lengthy online chat with TP-Link it would appear the problem is the DNS. This modem doesn't have one. When I look at the connection on Linux it shows the DNS to be 192.168.1.1 the same as the modem Admin page. A Hotspot works when the SIM is a phone because the phone handles all that.

So my question is what should the DNS be pointing at to get around the problem?

We live in an area where broadband isn't available so large downloads need to be avoided - they would consume my monthly data download in no time at all.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

are you connecting with Ethernet or with WiFi ?

can you ping 8.8.8.8 in Terminal - as well as that address 192.168.1.1 of the device ?

on this system,, I'm, using an ZTE based WiFi device from Optus & it works just fine,
but there is no Ethernet Ports available, like there is on that TL-MR6400 device.

while you have that Terminal open:
inxi -Fxz
type that & copy the result - back here, on your reply.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DickyOZ

Post by DickyOZ »

MR6400.pdf
Many thanks Pierre.
I've added 8.8.8.8 to the DNS list for IPV4 on my Linux WiFi connection and all is well. :D
The good news is the data rate via the MR-6400 is three times faster than my phone's Hotspot.
Why is it that whenever I do the simplest of things I have to learn far more than I ever wanted to know?
Regards,
Dicky.

Return to “Networking”