Mint 19 install no wifi Asus N705 laptop

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reno232

Mint 19 install no wifi Asus N705 laptop

Post by Reno232 »

I'm somewhat a novice w/ Linux although I've had Mint on my old Dell laptop since Mint 17. I recently purchased an Asus N705 17" Vivobook which I like so far but, I wanted to install Mint 19. It's a dual drive laptop w/ a 256G SSD along w/ a 1T non SSD w/ Windows 10 Pro......arghhh. I installed Mint 19 on the 1T drive & everything was fine (other that being slow, I'm used to an SSD), except no wifi. The wifi for the laptop is a Realtek RTL8822de.

I tried the following:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install git build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Press Enter. Your password will remain entirely invisible, not even dots will show, this is normal.

d. Download the actual driver (the construction kit) by means of git, with this command (use copy/paste):

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
Is the driver no longer available on github.com? Then get the driver from here (the driver as it was on May 2, 2018). Then unpack the zipped file in your home folder, because it's a compressed folder. Don't unpack it in the subfolder Downloads, because then the ensuing terminal commands won't work!

e. Copy/paste this line into the terminal, in order to enter the folder with the driver packages:

cd rtlwifi_new
Press Enter.

f. Activate the extended feature of the driver, with this command line (use copy/paste to transfer it to the terminal):

git checkout origin/extended -b extended
Press Enter.

g. Now you're going to compile the required kernel module from the driver package. For that, run this command:

make
h. Finally, install the compiled module with this command:

sudo make install
i. Reboot your computer.

This did not work for me. It kind of wigged me out because I use this laptop for work. I ended up re-formating the 1T drive back.

Then I found this site. It seems as though this is a very helpful site. I hate Windows & love Linux, just need to know how to fix this problem. For obvious reasons, I want to install Mint on the SSD drive but not at the risk of not having wifi & having to re-install Windows (Windows is pre-installed on the SSD drive), which would be the bain of my existence.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in getting me out of Windows hell
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint 19 install no wifi Asus N705 laptop

Post by JeremyB »

Are you sure it is a RTL8822de?
Also do

sudo apt install mokutil && mokutil --sb-state
If Secure Boot is enabled, it will need to be disabled in BIOS so the drivers can be loaded
Reno232

Post by Reno232 »

Device manager indicates RTL8822BE
Reno232

Post by Reno232 »

I'm copying files over now so I can give this another go. Do you feel reasonably sure this can be done? Thanks in advance for all your help. I notice you seem to be one of the trusted guru's around here.

Another quick question & forgive my ignorance, How do I tell Linux to install to the SSD drive? I got lucky last time that it automatically installed to the other drive.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Don't know about SSD's. You shouldn't need to reinstall, check the mokutil results
Reno232

Post by Reno232 »

I already deleted the install due to the problems so I can't check the mokutil results. I will try your suggestions upon re-install & report back. Thanks again for the help
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

The git clone command should be

git clone -b extended https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
Reno232

Post by Reno232 »

I ended up updating the BIOS & following suggestions made here & all is good. Linux rocks! Thanks for the help Jeremy

Return to “Networking”