[SOLVED] wireless not working with Realtec RTL8188EE NIC

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

[SOLVED] wireless not working with Realtec RTL8188EE NIC

Post by majpooper »

Did a fresh install of cinnamom 19 on a Lenovo Ideapad 100 - had some issues but the last problem is wireless will not connect.
I no longer have physical access to the laptop but have installed Teamviewer so I do have remote access.

A couple of questions before I attack this problem remotely:
1.) It is running kernel 4.15 - I know 4.4 series support Realtec RTL8188EE driver rtl8188ee - so would installing the 4.4 version be the easy fix?
EDIT: I have found instructions on how to install the driver but according to the inxi -F output driver rtl8188ee is there but down.
2.) Saw thread below and was wondering if it would work for RTL8188EE version of Realtec NIC

Code: Select all

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=280320&p=1544195&hilit=wireless+working+19#p1544195

cd Desktop
git clone -b extended https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
sudo dkms add ./rtlwifi_new
sudo dkms install rtlwifi-new/0.6
sudo cp -r rtlwifi_new/firmware/rtlwifi/ /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
echo "options rtl8723de ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723de.conf
If needed I will try and figure out how to get inxi -F via Teamviewer - logon to the forum remotely from the laptop in question I guess.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [SOLVED] wireless not working with Realtec RTL8188EE NIC

Post by majpooper »

BLUF : the following solved the issue of RealTec wireless NIC RTL8188EE useing driver rtl8188ee not working on a Lenovo Ideapad 100 with Mint 19, specifically 64bit Cinnamon Mint 19.

cd Desktop
git clone -b extended https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
sudo dkms add ./rtlwifi_new
sudo dkms install rtlwifi-new/0.6
sudo cp -r rtlwifi_new/firmware/rtlwifi/ /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
echo "options rtl8188ee ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8188ee.conf
There were a lot of confusing and cryptic solutions proffered regarding wireless issues some of which were specific to Realtec but not specifically rtl8188ee.

In my case I could rule out any BIOS issues revolving around secure boot, power management or wireless BIOS settings.I checked all BIOS settings very closely but was pretty sure the BIOS was not a problem as wireless worked just fine with Mint 18.3 prior to the install or Mint 19. Also the command rfkill list indicated the there was no software or hradware block.

The next exercise was to gather all the solutions/threads and put them in some sort of coherent order in terms of issues, why/why not they worked and exactly what wireless card was involved.

But in the end it came down to trying in some sort of systematic fashion of trial and error. The actual solution above was actually for rtl8723de that I modified for rtl8188ee.

Return to “Networking”