N66- Available Wireless Networks is NOT showing <solved>

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
N66

N66- Available Wireless Networks is NOT showing <solved>

Post by N66 »

g'day mates
I got Linux Mint 4.15.0-38 64 bit MATE edition. Installed on HP Laptop. The wifi was showing available networks and allowed me to connect to my Home network successfully. When I brought laptop to office, it is not showing available wireless networks to select from.

I did service network-manager restart > It then shows "Wifi networks available. Use the network menu to connect to wifi network". It does not show the actual names of wireless networks to click from. On my iPhone however, I can see all the wireless networks available.
The wifi WAS showing available wifi networks at home.

what could be the fix for this? Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: N66- Available Wireless Networks is NOT showing

Post by sleeper12 »

Is your Wifi switch off perhaps :?: Some laptops have a switch on the side or front. Others have a keyboard key to turn Wifi on/off.
N66

Post by N66 »

Thank you so much, There is no switch for this laptop. I ended up manually providing the SSID etc and wifi worked. However, the "show available network" feature does not work still. :(
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Not sure what HP laptop you have, but look for an F key on your keyboard with a Wifi symbol. That should turn it on. If not, maybe someone else will chime in here.
N66

Post by N66 »

Found the solution accidentally. I right clicked on task bar > Add to Panel > Notification Area > Add ... and there it shows the wifi connection > When I click on it, it also shows all available networks along with the one I am already connected to. I am not sure how "Notification area" got removed before, but now that it is back, it is showing what I need. Still learning Mint..
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Good catch 8) , you can mark this as Solved.
N66

Re: N66- Available Wireless Networks is NOT showing <solved>

Post by N66 »

Thanks mate. I marked it as <solved> now.

Return to “Networking”