WiFi upload speeds are consistently slow

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

WiFi upload speeds are consistently slow

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have two laptops and a Win7 desktop.

all 3 when connected to the new ViaSat Satellite WiFi signal the uploads speeds are low.

This is the Win7 desktop on a WiFi connection to the ViaSat modem.
it is also just now getting the same results via a LAN connection.

Win7-LAN-connection.png

However, when a Samsung S5 cellphone and a Samsung Note 4 are used to test,
they both get results in the 30Mbps down, and 4-5Mbps up...

will attach pictures for those later, gotta run, the bus is calling.

is there a possibility that the wrong protocol is being used to connect to the ViaSat modem?

and why do the cellphones work great?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: WiFi upload speeds are consistently slow

Post by JeremyB »

Do you actually notice when doing normal activities on the internet?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

JeremyB wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:45 pm Do you actually notice when doing normal activities on the internet?
Tried YouTube and a 25 Mb video uploaded in about 5 minutes.

The image here, 50kb, depicting the history of the last few tries on my ASUS TP500L laptop with the MT7630e adapter took 3 seconds to Imgur.com

as for normal surfing, where you just click on a link to request something, the response times are about what you would expect with a latency of 600+ mS average.

and the forum pages download fast.

the exception to this, is on my Amazon.com account for Kindle Unlimited books, it takes longer to load the pages, as I think it is pulling in from a lot of different websites to present to the page. I can see it requesting a huge amount of stuff. The initial page shows in 2.5 seconds, but then all of the additional crap just keeps loading forever... it is loading 50+ images that take 1.8-1.9 seconds each to get loaded.

This image is from the Note 4 cellphone.

Maybe I am missing something, but the laptop should upload at the same speed as the 2 cellphones do....
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

the ViaSat rep came by my home this evening...... he is a nice guy, really wants the customer to get a good experience.

He told me that Speedtest.net has an APP for Windows, and yup, they sure do.
https://www.speedtest.net/apps/windows

here is what their APP shows for upload speed on my Win7 PC.

Matt, the rep, and I did a lot of testing back and forth.
both his Win10 laptop and my Win7 desktop using a browser, ( brand did not make any difference ) the upload speed is capped at 1.0~ Gbps

the surfing the 'net with the ViaSat ISP so far, with only 10 hours of experience, seems to be a good thing for me. In that I most just click on links to read a new thread on a forum, or I am reading a news website, or I am going to Amazon and looking for a new book to read, and push it down to my Kindle.

uploading videos to youtube is take 3 minutes per Mbyte of file size.
guess I will just have to accept that not having a fiber connection with 100gB of speed of light, what I have is the best I can get in the Rural World.

BUT, I am still puzzled as to why the SpeedTest App shows the rate in the 5Gbit region and browsers can only get 1.0gB ??

what is going on here? the speedtest app is not available for Linux, "of course".
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

https://www.google.com/search?q=isp+speed+test is not the same as tests that ask you to remove ads
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

trytip wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:30 pm https://www.google.com/search?q=isp+speed+test is not the same as tests that ask you to remove ads
That is for sure, I have run that before, and here it shows a better upload speed on my oldest laptop,
an Acer with 2g RAM and slow HDD with Xcfe because that is all it will run.

all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Try testing without a browser running. In a terminal:

Code: Select all

wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

I'd think I was in internet heaven if I got those speeds.

using the terminal - no browser open
Screenshot at 2018-11-16 20-45-31.png
and
Using the Google site browser
Screenshot at 2018-11-16 20-39-46.png
Last edited by tenfoot on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

all41 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:53 am Try testing without a browser running. In a terminal:

wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python
Now that is SUPER NEATO!!!
definitely going in my Tool Box of notes.

-                           100%[=========================================>]  59.98K  --.-KB/s    in 0.02s   

2018-11-16 09:15:31 (3.51 MB/s) - written to stdout [61423/61423]

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from ViaSat (75.107.2.250)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by IdeaTek Telcom (Hutchinson, KS) [35.72 km]: 362.42 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 23.83 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 3.97 Mbit/s
and here is Google SpeedTest again at 09:30 a.m. CST USA

SpeedTest Google.png
So, I am guessing that I now have the best I am going to get for a Rural Location...

Can't run the Windows SpeedTestApp on my Linux box.... unless I tried it in Virtualbox
EDIT: tried to run it in WinXP 32b and it won't run, don't have the necessary drivers loaded for DirectX 3D
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

had a slow down earlier today, but family problems prevented me from diagnosing what was going on. we had to put down our kitty cat, a family member for 18 years

just now did new tests, it is 7:30 p.m. CST USA
showing what just occurred now....

$ wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python
2018-11-16 19:28:30 (1.88 MB/s) - written to stdout [61423/61423]

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from ViaSat (75.107.2.250)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Kansas Research and Education Network (Wichita, KS) [43.14 km]: 325.427 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 19.78 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 4.41 Mbit/s

Google Speed Test
21.0 Mbps download
3.17 Upload

I will be able to keep the ViaSat test setup until Monday.....
then I have to make a decision to keep it, or go back to DSL.

one comment that my daughter and I have noticed.
There has not been a Single Outage with the Satellite service since it was turned on...
contrast that to 27 outages 3 days ago in one 24 hour period with DSL

yes, we are a bit irked at the 650 mS Latency, but that seems like a small price to pay for dependable service.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

re the latency:
You can't get around classical physics. Today the latency here is 538 ms but it varies.
If you use noscript (after taming period) and ublock origin the loading time for busy sites decreases dramatically.

We get a few minutes outage when storm clouds are between us and the satellite,
or between the satellite and the downlink--5 to 10 minutes generally.

Also when the sun is lined up directly behind the satellite there
is a few minutes of disconnect (just a couple days in the spring and again in the fall).
But compared to our pitiful copper dsl offering we are contented with this.

Leo sats will decrease the latency to compare with cable/fibre 25ms-ish.
FCC approval has been granted
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

all41 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:24 pm re the latency:
You can't get around classical physics. Today the latency here is 538 ms but it varies.
If you use noscript (after taming period) and ublock origin the loading time for busy sites decreases dramatically.

We get a few minutes outage when storm clouds are between us and the satellite,
or between the satellite and the downlink--5 to 10 minutes generally.

Also when the sun is lined up directly behind the satellite there
is a few minutes of disconnect (just a couple days in the spring and again in the fall).
But compared to our pitiful copper dsl offering we are contented with this.

Leo sats will decrease the latency to compare with cable/fibre 25ms-ish.
FCC approval has been granted
I read about the Leo sats, but it will a while before they get up there.

I have NoScript installed but disabled, will turn it back on...
uBlock Origin is standard for me.

appreciate your info reference your experience with sat service...
I have forgotten, did you mention which sat service you are using?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I have been using viasat for about 20 months now.
I change noscript whitelist to disallow all those 'per site permissions'
At first I allow scripts from new sites on a temporary basis. If trustworthy and I intend to use the site often I change those permissions to trusted----
thus the taming period.
I backup my permissions list for future installs.

Oh--so sorry about kitty. Pets are just fuzzy people and it is difficult to make that decision--so my sympathies
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Been a cat person for over 30 years, had lots, but it doesn't make it any easier. Condolences...

When I had satellite internet, the killer for me was the latency. Does your sat provider have a proxy server at the other end of the link where it fetches all the data from a website and then sends it to you - so you only suffer one lot of latency rather than multiple where you have a website pulling data from multiple other sites?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:15 am Been a cat person for over 30 years, had lots, but it doesn't make it any easier. Condolences...

When I had satellite internet, the killer for me was the latency. Does your sat provider have a proxy server at the other end of the link where it fetches all the data from a website and then sends it to you - so you only suffer one lot of latency rather than multiple where you have a website pulling data from multiple other sites?
Thank you on the kitty.... she went to sleep so knew nothing of the final injection.
My daughter locked the dogs up in the bedroom, took the cat outside and let her sleep in the sun for a couple of hours until our vet appointment.

Ref: proxy, have no clue.
I discovered tonight that 18.3 Cinnamon will NOT download from www.wetransfer.com from ViaSat, but it with with AT&T DSL.

but LMDE3 Cindy will download from WeTransfer on this same laptop, just a dedicated partition for it.

also, a very old Acer with 18.3 Xcfe will also download from WeTransfer on ViaSat...

the Latency varies from 625ish up to 690ish
I will have to ask the ViaSat rep about your question, thanks for bringing that.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Talk about slow................

I decided to test my NordVPN to see how it performs with ViaSat,
and the results are so pathetic, that I will never be able to use VPN.
so much for having a 2 year contract with NordVPN, it is now useless.

SpeedTest with NordVPN

VPN SpeedTest.png

as contrasted to VPN turned off.... this is prime time on a Sunday now after church,
and the speeds are the worst that I have seen.... even so, it is almost 3 times better than AT&T DSL.

VPN SpeedTest off.png

This morning, my cellphone was getting 35 down and 5.45 up, the cellphone is always better than my laptop or my Win7 desktop....

here is the cellphone at the current time to compare with the VPN speedtest.

SpeedTest cellphone800pixel.jpg
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

VPN - another issue for the viasat rep along with proxy servers. Make it their problem not yours. Don't know what it is like in the US, but here in the UK we have a 14 days 'cooling off' period where we can cancel the contract.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I would certainly cancel and switch to a cellular solution. I switched from Hughesnet sat to 4G cellular over 4 years ago
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

JeremyB wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:02 pm I would certainly cancel and switch to a cellular solution. I switched from Hughesnet sat to 4G cellular over 4 years ago
that ain't going to work, chatting with Verizon right now
Jesse: John, huge data allotment towards your jetpack, it would definitely cost a lot. Though we have unlimited data, when the jetpack is connected to it is limited only to 15gb of premium hotspot data and once the usage exceeds it will slow down to 600kbps.
we need about 120 gB/month and they won't do that.

Jesse: That is because for data device alone it is $710 to have 100gb of allotment on your hotspot device.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:03 pm
JeremyB wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:02 pm I would certainly cancel and switch to a cellular solution. I switched from Hughesnet sat to 4G cellular over 4 years ago
that ain't going to work, chatting with Verizon right now
Jesse: John, huge data allotment towards your jetpack, it would definitely cost a lot. Though we have unlimited data, when the jetpack is connected to it is limited only to 15gb of premium hotspot data and once the usage exceeds it will slow down to 600kbps.
we need about 120 gB/month and they won't do that.

Jesse: That is because for data device alone it is $710 to have 100gb of allotment on your hotspot device.
I've not only been stuck on satellite internet,but for years use to install them. What limit is excede offering you. As generally its like 30gBs max anyways =(. I guess maybe they have upped them sense I last looked. Generally anymore their are internet services where you point an AP to a tower to get internet, but of course not available everywhere sadly =(.

Return to “Networking”