[SOLVED] I have a problem with the Internet connection. Help please

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnand

[SOLVED] I have a problem with the Internet connection. Help please

Post by johnand »

Hello!
I have a problem with the Internet connection and I can not fix it. I think it's not hard, but I can not figure out how to fix it. Can you give me a hand?
I have Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, Cinnamon version 3.6.7

My problem is this:
When I use the computer, after a while the Internet connection is interrupted. I am connected to the router and I have a good signal but no internet. When I reconnect to the router I have Internet connection again. For a limited time. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes hours... and I need to reconnect with the router again. I click on Wireless Connection - Network Settings - I click on my wifi network and reconnect - the internet is up again. This problem started a few weeks ago, and since there is an easy fix.. it doesn't bother me...until now :) Now a little bit start to make me angry :)

This shows from Google Chrome:
GoogleServerNotFound.png
This shows from Mozilla Firefox:
MozillaServerNotFound.png
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: I have a problem with the Internet connection. Help please

Post by sleeper12 »

Try changing your DNS server in Network Connections & see if that helps.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Also, with a WiFi Analyzer program, see if your router on the same channel as any surrounding routers (neighbors, etc.) That may be a problem.

I found Wifi-radar in Software Manager.
johnand

Post by johnand »

sleeper12 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:17 pm Try changing your DNS server in Network Connections & see if that helps.
I tried this with DNS when the very first time this problem happened. I read an article and changed the address with Google 8.8.8.8, but the problem was not fixed. If you can give me a more detailed instruction I will try again. Thank you for your help!
johnand

Post by johnand »

JerryF wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:37 pm Also, with a WiFi Analyzer program, see if your router on the same channel as any surrounding routers (neighbors, etc.) That may be a problem.

I found Wifi-radar in Software Manager.
I installed a Wifi-radar and noticed that there is one printer that is not mine - on the same channel as mine.
printerhp.png
All other wifi networks are on a different channel. Could you help me what to do now? Thanks for your help!

I forgot to mention that my girlfriend's laptop doesn't have this Internet connection problem. My phone and smart TV also doesn't have this problem. Only my laptop with Linux Mint has this problem.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

It doesn't look tlike that's a problem. If the printer isn't yours, then it's probably far away enough to cause what you're experiencing.

My shot in the dark answer is that you may need a different driver. I only know the basics for wireless, so I won't be much help.

Hoping that he doesn't mind me dropping his name, but forum member JeremyB is a guru with wireless issues. He may see this thread and offer some help.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

johnand wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:59 am
I tried this with DNS when the very first time this problem happened. I read an article and changed the address with Google 8.8.8.8, but the problem was not fixed. If you can give me a more detailed instruction I will try again. Thank you for your help!
Not likely the problem then, but here's what to have in Network Connections IPv4 Settings:

Method: Automatic (DHCP) addresses only
DNS servers: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4.

Check the box: Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete
Click Save

Edit: That's how mine is set, your system may be different
johnand

Post by johnand »

My setting was Automatic (DHCP) - (without addresses only)

I changed it to Automatic (DHCP) addresses only
I added the two DNS servers
The box "Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete" was already checked.

I have been browsing the Internet for 2 hours without any problems.
I'll go on and I'll write tomorrow if it's okay.
Thank you JerryF and sleeper12 for your help!
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Oh, good, fingers crossed. :wink:
johnand

Post by johnand »

Yes! I have been browsing for two more days and have no problems with the Internet.
Thank you again!
I wish you all the best!
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [SOLVED] I have a problem with the Internet connection. Help please

Post by sleeper12 »

:D :)

Return to “Networking”