IPv6 can't use DNS (Solved)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrmajik45

IPv6 can't use DNS (Solved)

Post by mrmajik45 »

When trying to use 1.1.1.1's dns it shows red and I can't apply the change:

2606:4700:4700::1111,2606:4700:4700::1001
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redlined

Re: IPv6 can't use DNS

Post by redlined »

mrmajik45 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:23 pm When trying to use 1.1.1.1's dns it shows red and I can't apply the change:

2606:4700:4700::1111,2606:4700:4700::1001
hi mrmajik45!

I'm new to linux and assuming you are using LM19, if so there are two options to modify DNS in network manager (NM) both can be accessed by clicking the network icon in systray:

1) Network settings>select connection type (wifi, ethernet, vpn, etc)> click gear icon (lower right)> IPv6 (left menu)> DNS (set automatic button to [OFF]>in Server box paste first DNS address 2606:4700:4700::1111 then click the + button and do the same for the second DNS address, click apply and try your connection.

(or select)

2) Network Connections>select connection type (wifi, ethernet, vpn, etc)>click gear box (lower left)> IPv6 Settings tab>Method (choose automatic addresses only)>DNS servers is where you can paste both DNS servers separated by comma with no space following comma 2606:4700:4700::1111,2606:4700:4700::1001

If you tried this using #2 above then please attempt using method #1 as well, if it still doesn't work then let's get some troubleshooting info, Please paste into terminal the command inxi -Fxz hit enter and paste back those results between code blocks [code]paste your info here[/code] found by tapping the </> button above your post.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I did option one that's the one that didn't work. Option 2 did tho. Thanks. (IM BACK GUYS! BEEN A WHILE)
redlined

Post by redlined »

mrmajik45 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 pm I did option one that's the one that didn't work. Option 2 did tho. Thanks. (IM BACK GUYS! BEEN A WHILE)
awesome! and Welcome back mrmajik45, I feel my danger level just dropped a notch :mrgreen:
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Danger level? (Have you actually talk to me before my dud? wanna know.)
redlined

Post by redlined »

mrmajik45 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 pm Danger level? (Have you actually talk to me before my dud? wanna know.)
:shock:
Funny that you mention "dud", my military career was in the Field Artillery, where duds are serious business, always considered dangerous even!

Otherwise, no, I don't think I've even seen you around before and certainly did not mean to insult nor even imply any familiarity, just a friendly welcome back as you mentioned being back after a while is all. As I mentioned I'm new to Linux and see a few messy help suggestions I've given this past couple of months I've been active (my danger: newb! level :oops: ... so I was literally very happy this one got sorted as I have been digging through LM19 Cinnamon and MATE to disable IPv6 everywhere I could on system, becoming very familiar with NM and even some terminal commandline in doing so. Anyways, I am still glad it got sorted and I still feel my danger level has dropped a notch :lol:

Please consider edit to your initial post and add <Solved> to the title, it may help others find solution for similar issue when searching forums. Thanks 8)

Return to “Networking”