WiFi does not resume after sleep or suspend [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

WiFi does not resume after sleep or suspend [SOLVED]

Post by Spiderspoon »

I have Linux Mint 18.3. WiFi/Internet is working fine now. But when I put the computer to sleep it disconnects the Network.
When I wake the computer up I can't reconnect to the internet without logging off.
That's a problem if I have some things open. I have to log off, log in again and open up again things that were open before.
Any advice please?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Niketathakare88

Re: WiFi does not resume after sleep

Post by Niketathakare88 »

1. Press Windows Key + R and type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box to open Device Manager.
2. In the Device Manager window, expand Network Adapters and look for your WiFi driver, do a right click on it, select Properties.
3. In the property sheet, switch to Power Management tab and uncheck the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK.
You may now close Device Manager and restart the machine to get your issue fixed.
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

This is not working for me.
Windows R does nothing.
I can't find devmgmt.msc anywhere.
And I can't find anything that does what you suggest, but it did sound good.
Thanks
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

Niketathakare88 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:01 am 1. Press Windows Key + R and type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box to open Device Manager.
2. In the Device Manager window, expand Network Adapters and look for your WiFi driver, do a right click on it, select Properties.
3. In the property sheet, switch to Power Management tab and uncheck the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK.
You may now close Device Manager and restart the machine to get your issue fixed.
Thanks. Your instructions are good for Windows 10, but I'm running Linux.
Any ideas on how to fix this in Linux Mint 18.3?
Thanks.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, MATE & Xfce. Desktop computer 16 GB RAM. Windows 11. 22" & 24" monitors.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon on 256 GB USB flash drive. Dell Inspiron 13-7378 laptop. 16 GB RAM. Windows 10.
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

I Googled it and found this: viewtopic.php?t=217167
Right at the end I found
sudo service network-manager restart
I did this and it worked. I have tested it a couple of times and it's still good.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, MATE & Xfce. Desktop computer 16 GB RAM. Windows 11. 22" & 24" monitors.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon on 256 GB USB flash drive. Dell Inspiron 13-7378 laptop. 16 GB RAM. Windows 10.
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

Having said that, I restarted the computer and the problem recurred. So I run that line of code in Terminal again and it restarted the Network Manager.
That's a bit tedious, even if it works.
Can I save this code to make a command I can run from the Desktop?
Thanks.
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

Since I have to do this each time I restart the computer, this is a workaround, rather than a solution.
Any ideas for a permanent solution?
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Re: WiFi does not resume after sleep or suspend

Post by Spiderspoon »

I found some other threads on this topic. This is not a problem with Windows. Maybe it's something for Linux developers to look at.
Meanwhile, another workaround:
In Power Management, I have mostly removed options to Suspend and replaced them by Blank Screen.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Spiderspoon, great that you found the culprit of your suspend problem.

As far as I know, generally speaking there are 3 possible solutions that could work for people with suspend problems:

1 Changing the kernel

2 Changing the video driver (sometimes difficult or impossible to achieve)

3 Fiddling with the network drivers (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=274817&start=20#p1509414 ) or installing a panda usb wifi adapter (20 dollars) which seems to be the best shortcut method that works with ALL linuxmint versions.

Spiderspoon, you have already found a solution which costs you nothing. Great. But I cant help you personally with advice on HOW TO launch that network drivers terminal command at startup . Below is a link that may help you along. Maybe an experienced forummember can give a tip on how to execute a terminal command at startup. I wuuld like to learn as well, but I am too inexperienced to dare try running test scripts myself on my stabile pc. Weirdly enough I can startup many programs automatically with the program "Startup Applications", but the terminal program isnt listed. The link below is too difficult for me to understand but maybe it can help you along Spiderspoon.

https://www.tecmint.com/auto-execute-li ... r-startup/
viveksreedharan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by viveksreedharan »

This is not working..... I tried this..
Spiderspoon wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:03 am I Googled it and found this: viewtopic.php?t=217167
Right at the end I found
sudo service network-manager restart
I did this and it worked. I have tested it a couple of times and it's still good.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

If iwconfig shows power management is on, turn it off:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/3/2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf 
Reboot
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

sleeper12 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:17 am If iwconfig shows power management is on, turn it off:
Power management is off.

I will put computer to sleep (Suspend) and test it again.

It was fine. I just tested it again for a longer time and the network is still running. Maybe later versions and updates have fixed it.

Return to “Networking”