Mint freezes without active Wifi network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Saffron
Level 1
Level 1

Mint freezes without active Wifi network

Post by Saffron »

I have a little Dell that I recently got. Linux Mint runs just fine on it... as long as it has a constant, working, internet access wifi connection (there is not physical port to try ethernet on it). If it loses internet access for any reason Mint freezes. If it is turned on with networks enables and there is no network available to connect to, it freezes. The only way I can insure that I can use my laptop if it leaves my apartment is to make sure I disable all network connections so it can't attempt to connect to any networks. That is the only way I can use my laptop without spending over twenty minutes rebooting it (it sometimes freezes before I can even type in my password to log in. It's literally twenty minutes of me racing to disable network connections so I can use it after the next hard reboot).

What could be causing Mint to need the internet so much? It's a fresh install, there aren't any programs on it that should need the internet to work in the first place, outside of the browser. LibreOffice and Audacity are the only programs I have installed that aren't part of the installation to begin with. Is there a way to find out what's going on and to fix it? Because having to disable network connections every time I'm done using the laptop shouldn't be necessary.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I said to stand back, I never said I knew what I was doing.
polipropillon

Re: Mint freezes without active Wifi network

Post by polipropillon »

Same problem on my dell, but mine dont need a connection. it only freezes when i turn off wifi or bluetooth adapter
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

See the wireless script link in my signature and post results
polipropillon

Post by polipropillon »

polipropillon

Post by polipropillon »

nope. mine also freezes when disconnect. but it works correctly with nomodeset
polipropillon

Post by polipropillon »

p.s. only screen freezes. for example, audio continues to play after freeze and i can hear it

Return to “Networking”