Firmware Bug message on startup then no wifi only ethernet

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chadley B

Firmware Bug message on startup then no wifi only ethernet

Post by Chadley B »

Hey,
Yes, I'm pretty new here. Whats been weird the past few days is the wifi on both sides of my dual booted Linux mint and windows 10 fails to be active and only an Ethernet is present saying its unplugged. I have a Asus Notebook F555B. I've had Linux on for a while now and this is the first time its happened. Well, actually not, as in the past two days after following some threads here I managed to have done something good and yesterday it all worked again. Today, however, after I booted from the BIOS came instantly a firmware bug message and a short list appeared before Mint came on. Nothing else has been affected as far as I know. Whats weird is why did the wifi return to normal yesterday all day? I was able to do an update as well yesterday with wifi on again and perhaps had the missing drivers returned. But, my main question - is this windows 10 firmware attacking my Linux? Because today I'm back to having no wifi - the exact same problem as two days before!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Firmware Bug message on startup then no wifi only ethernet

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Chadley B.

Please, post a full inxi report.
Open a terminal window. Execute the commandline

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
precisely as it has been typed here. Mark the complete text output, which inxi will display in your terminal window. Paste the output into your next reply, please.
This should give us sufficient technical details in order to know where to look for the root cause of the reported issue.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Chadley B wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:27 am .... Today, however, after I booted from the BIOS came instantly a firmware bug message and a short list appeared before Mint came on....
It would be helpful to know more about the 'firmware bug message and list'. If this occurs again, perhaps you could take a picture (smart phone?).
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
Niketathakare88

Post by Niketathakare88 »

1. Update your router’s firmware
The reason to do this step is twofold. First, you can take advantage of any additional features and improvements of the new version of the firmware. Second, your router usually receives any important security updates.

Usually, you will have the option to check, review, download, and install your router’s new firmware on its administration page. The exact steps depend on your router’s make and model, so check the router manufacturer’s support site for detailed directions.

Not sure how to access your router’s administrator settings to do the update? Click here for the easiest way to find your router’s password and IP address.

2. Look for interferences
Routers often compete for airwaves with other household devices. Rival devices such as cordless phones, Bluetooth speakers, microwave ovens, and baby monitors can impact your Wi-Fi network.

To help you pinpoint issues, you can create an actual Wi-Fi “heat” map of your area using a free tool like HeatMapper. By the way, Netspot works for Macs. You can also use an app like the free Wi-Fi Analyzer for Android that has a real-time signal strength meter.

3. Change channels
You can also select a different channel for your router. This is especially helpful if you’re tuned to that 2.4GHz frequency. Moving from one channel to a less crowded one may help speed things up.

To check the optimum 2.4GHz channel for your area or the least used channel, try using a Wi-Fi scanner.

For Macs, Apple provides a free tool called “Wireless Diagnostics.” To access it, hold the Option key while clicking on the Wi-Fi icon on the right-hand side of the menu bar, then choose Open Wireless Diagnostics.

For Windows, download the free Wi-Fi utility, Acrylic Wi-Fi Home. Similar to the Mac’s Scan tool, this application will instantly give you information about the Wi-Fi signals in your area including the channels they utilize.

For Android users, there are many Wi-Fi scanning tools available, but a popular one is Network Analyzer. Click here for more details and download information.

4. Put the kids and guests on their own network and enable QoS
Parents can put their kids’ devices on a separate network and establish special rules and settings. This can help keep the kids out of trouble on the web, and it eases the burden on your bandwidth.

You can set up a different Wi-Fi router, or you can simply enable your router’s “Guest Network” option. You can also set up a different network name (SSID) and password for the guest network to avoid confusion with your main network.

Guest networks are meant for visitors to your home who might need a Wi-Fi internet connection that keeps your shared files private. This segregation will also work for your smart appliances and shield your main devices from Internet of Things attacks.

You can also use QoS (Quality of Service). QoS is a feature on some routers that will let you prioritize traffic according to the type of data getting transmitted.

You could set latency-sensitive applications like Skype, IP telephony, streaming media, and online gaming to have higher priority over other types of activity. If you prioritize Skype, for example, other software will slow down, ensuring your call is smooth.

Different routers have different ways of handling QoS, and most consumer-level routers have more simplified ways of enabling it by having presets available. Just check your router’s support site for information on what each one does.

5. Get an updated router
If you’re in the market for a new router and you want improved Wi-Fi speeds and reach across your home or office, aim for at least an 802.11 N or AC router with dual or triple band capabilities.

AC routers have a maximum spectral bandwidth of around 8 x 160 MHz, compared to the 4 x 40 MHz standard of N routers. In other words, the increased bandwidth allows more data to be transmitted without slowing down.

Additionally, by having multi-bands, you could keep older 2.4GHz devices on their own bands while keeping newer devices that support the latest Wi-Fi standards on the higher bands. This is like having multiple routers in one.

Newer AC routers also have advanced features not found in older routers. Look for specifications like beamforming, Multiple-In-Multiple-Out (MIMO), multiple USB 3.0 connectors and Gigabit Ethernet ports.

Some top-of-the-line routers are even starting to roll out support for the newer AD protocol

Return to “Networking”