Just wondering - How Come, the ISO releases will find the wireless adapters, but the installs can't?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Just wondering - How Come, the ISO releases will find the wireless adapters, but the installs can't?

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have noticed this on a few of the ISO packages.

The ISO supplied finds the adapter and gives the message "Wireless Connections Available".
so, I enter the password, and it works.

Do the install, and low and behold, the adapter is no longer recognized. :evil:

just an aimless thought, and maybe I'm not alone, because I sure see a lot of new threads constantly about WiFi not working.

JeremyB had to figure out how to fix my ASUS TP500L laptop so that new kernels did not remove the adapter's profile all together.... I used to have to reinstall the WiFi code with each new kernel.

that was a real PITA but no longer.

Thank you Jeremy, I installed a new kernel just last night and WiFi is still working.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Just wondering - How Come, the ISO releases will find the wireless adapters, but the installs can't?

Post by Pierre »

that's an old issue, that does still occur,
& sometimes it's the later kernel version, that is installed during / after the install is completed.

it's not just the WiFi card either, as sometimes it's the video card instead.

why is it so :?: you would have to ask the development team, that question.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Just wondering - How Come, the ISO releases will find the wireless adapters, but the installs can't?

Post by chiefjim »

Glad to read video card was mentioned. All too frequently a flash drive live session will operate in my older laptop just fine. But following installation I'm locked at 640x480.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pierre wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:04 pm that's an old issue, that does still occur,
& sometimes it's the later kernel version, that is installed during / after the install is completed.

it's not just the WiFi card either, as sometimes it's the video card instead.

why is it so :?: you would have to ask the development team, that question.
Seeing this answer, makes me think that future test installs should be done w/o a network connection period.
Wait until the OS is up, and we can make a Timeshift snapshot, and have a "Previous Working kernel" before allowing any updates to occur.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Networking”