Wifi Intermittently Shows Connected But Is Not

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
expalphalog
Level 1
Level 1

Wifi Intermittently Shows Connected But Is Not

Post by expalphalog »

As the title says, my Wifi will randomly stop working but the little icon in the corner still shows me connected. The signal strength will sometimes drop to 30% and will sometimes stay up around 80%. Opening up Network Settings and reconnecting always fixes it. This occurs sometimes when I am playing a game on Steam and sometimes when I am just checking email or browsing. This has been going on for months and is driving me crazy.

My initial assumption was that my PC was putting the adapter to sleep so I ran the fix for that and it's still happening. I have replaced my router and adapter both within the last week (not solely because of this issue, they were both pretty ancient) but the behavior has not changed. This is not affecting any other device on my network so I believe the issue is with my computer.

The results from JeremyB's script: https://termbin.com/uog0
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hhead
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Wifi Intermittently Shows Connected But Is Not

Post by hhead »

Same problem on my machine after installing mint 19. The problem is possibly something along these lines

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=208472

I have this card and creating a config file in modprob.d as described and setting the antennae to 1 was enough for me. However no longer any help from someone would be appreciated. PS seems better on 2 now 0/1 seem the same but do work.

Neil
hhead
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Wifi Intermittently Shows Connected But Is Not

Post by hhead »

Apologies my problem is slightly different from yours, Mine does work its a range issue.... Will start fresh thread.

Return to “Networking”