Wireless on Lenovo X200, LM 19.1

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barddzen

Wireless on Lenovo X200, LM 19.1

Post by barddzen »

Hello,

I installed LM19.1 64-bit on an older laptop Lenovo X200 and all seems to be working fine except the wireless. Output from rfkill list is:

0: tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes

I've checked the BIOS and nothing is blocked there and the Fn+F5 to enable wireless doesn't get the light to turn on, nor does the Bluetooth (supposed to work for both). Other function key capabilities seem to work (brightness, monitor connections, etc).

I tried the sudo rfkill unblock all and the command didn't report any errors, but the wireless status didn't change either. When I check the networking panel, under Wifi it says "unavailable" but lets me toggle on/off ok, but no nearby wireless networks are listed.

lspci command gives me the following for Network Controller: Intel Corporation Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300

Ethernet works perfect, no issues there.

Any suggestions on where I go next with this? Appreciate any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Wireless on Lenovo X200, LM 19.1

Post by Moem »

There is most likely a wireless switch on the outside of the machine, and if there is, it's probably set to off. Look at the left side of the case, towards the front (the end closest to you). That's where it is on my X201.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
barddzen

Post by barddzen »

UGH! I feel so stupid! It was there the whole time!

Thank you, works perfectly.
barddzen

Post by barddzen »

As a follow-up to this post, I've upgraded the 160GB HDD to a 250GB SSD, maxed out the RAM to 4GB and the X200 is a fully functional laptop again! The speed is perfectly acceptable and I can see the life of this device extended greatly.

I've dabbled with Linux over the years having been a 20+ year Mac person and lately my sites have been set to work with Linux more. This and a few other projects to experiment with the platform has been interesting, but very productive.

Thanks for the continued help!

Return to “Networking”