install tar.bz2 file which don't have configure file

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Re: install tar.bz2 file which don't have configure file

Post by aditya02 »

phd21 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:26 pm
In principle, this chipset is supported by the 8192cu kernel module. However, the USB ID of the stick. rtl8192cu is a USB driver for RTL8192CU/RTL8188CU devices. It's going to be replaced by rtl8xxxu.
What does it mean. What is kernel module? Do I need to install it separately? What is USB Id of the stick?

I assume that the solution you are giving is to get connected to a wired Connection and run the commands. Am I right?
As you already know that I cannot try your solution but let assume that it works for me. But it is not the answer of original problem that is how to install .tar.bz2 which don't have .configure file.
I think as a Linux user I must know that how to install software with tarball.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi aditya02,
In principle, this chipset is supported by the 8192cu kernel module. However, the USB ID of the stick. rtl8192cu is a USB driver for RTL8192CU/RTL8188CU devices. It's going to be replaced by rtl8xxxu.
aditya02 wrote:What does it mean. What is kernel module? Do I need to install it separately? What is USB Id of the stick?
All Linux systems come with a Linux Kernel installed as part of the operating system, see link below. The Linux console terminal commands I gave you before like "lsusb" would tell us and you whether or not the Linux Mint system recognizes your WiFi adapter.

What is the Linux Kernel and What Does It Do?
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31632/w ... oes-it-do/
aditya02 wrote:I assume that the solution you are giving is to get connected to a wired Connection and run the commands. Am I right? As you already know that I cannot try your solution but let assume that it works for me. But it is not the answer of original problem that is how to install .tar.bz2 which don't have .configure file. I think as a Linux user I must know that how to install software with tarball.
Assuming you had Linux Mint installed somewhere, you should first try the WiFi adapter to see if it works without installing any drivers.

If your WiFi adapter did not work, then I think if you can go somewhere with your computer where you can access the Internet using an Ethernet cable or If you know someone with a WiFi adapter that you can borrow that is plug-n-play with Linux Mint, then the instructions I gave you in my last replies might work to install the drivers I mentioned or from your Linux archive file that came with the WiFi adapter.

As we have been trying to explain to you, without knowing what is in the WiFi adapter's driver archive file you have, we cannot determine what needs to be done to install those. Installation archive files could contain anything with many various options for installing whatever is in the archive file from easy to complex.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

Here are the wifi drivers. the exact i got in my installation cd.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KkE8G ... rgaW8lUmZn

i found that the linux drivers are of mtk drivers. sorry for wrong information.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi aditya02,

Do you finally have Linux Mint installed on your computer?

Now since you provided a link to the drivers, we can finally see what your WiFi adapter manufacturer included for Linux drivers. They certainly were not very clear in the "mtk" archive file which chipset driver version your particular WiFi adapter uses and the archive file includes various driver versions for the same Realtek 2870 chipset? Is there any indication included with the WiFi adapter even on the packaging or elsewhere that can give us a clue to which of these drivers should be installed? Like instructions?

The one archive file (/MTK/MT7612U Linux/) has the newer drivers for Realtek chipset RT2870 which is the same as my WiFi adapter which is plug-n-play in Linux and did not require installing any drivers to work. See second screenshot.

You can run "lsusb" after each method below to see if the WiFi adapter shows up and is recognized by Linux Mint.
phd21's current WiFi adapter wrote:lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 148f:2870 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870 Wireless Adapter
As I already stated before, without installing the drivers, I would first try plugging the WiFi adapter into Linux Mint and see if it works. If it does not, try unplugging it, wait 12 seconds, and plugging it back in, wait another few seconds to see if it is recognized and usable. If it still does not work, try this command.

Code: Select all

sudo service network-manager restart
If it still does not work, try updating the Linux Kernel, rebooting, and trying the steps above.

Now if it still does not work, then you have to install either the drivers mentioned in this post's replies or the drivers from the archive file included with the WiFi adapter.

That "mtk" archive file contains various sub-folders some named Linux with archive folders within those as well which also need to be extracted. But, which one is right for your WiFi adapter I cannot tell? "MT7612U Linux", or "MT7610U Linux", or "MT7601U Linux"? See first screenshot. The "mt7612u" archive and folder has the newest driver versions.

FYI: If you wanted or needed to install drivers from an archive file like this, always look for instructions in the "readme" or "install" files which in this case is called "README_STA_usb". This stated you have to compile these drivers before installing them which means installing the necessary packages for compiling software, opening a console terminal window in their source code folder, then normally you would run a "./configure" command, then run the "make" command, then "sudo make install" command. BUT, this particular set of drivers only requires the last 2 commands, "make" and then "sudo make install".

Hope this helps ...
WiFi_Adapter_mtk_archive1.jpg
WiFi_Adapter_mtk_archive_mt7612u.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

unfortunately, i don't have mint installed yet. i managed to got access to a windows pc and i posted these drivers through that pc.
ok i will try all the methods listed by you once i got my pc repaired and mint installed and next time reply to post only after i got mint installed on my pc.

i know i am annoying you very much and i apologize for that. extremly sorry and thank you.
regards
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi aditya02,

You are welcome...

You are not annoying me. But it makes no sense to me to theorize about installing WiFi adapter drivers into Linux Mint when you can just try it, if you had Linux Mint installed somewhere.

After reading the information from the archive file that you finally provided, assuming these are the correct drivers for your WiFi adapter and the WiFi adapter is using the RT2870 chipset, then the adapter should be plug-n-play and you would not need to install any drivers for it to work and function properly.
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

Hi phd21,
I run linux mint 19.1 xfce as live session and run inxi -Fxd and lsusb. As you know i don't have internet connection so i can't post the whole output. But here is the part of output that matters here.
Output of inxi -Fxd (not complete)

Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: 2.33LK-NAPI port: e000 bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 40:8d:5c:20:b5:22
Device-2: Ralink MT7601U Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: usb-network bus ID: 1-120:120
Output of lsusb (complete)

Bus 002 Device 008: ID 04ca:0061 Lite-On Technology Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 413c:2107 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0781:5567 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Blade
Bus 001 Device 070: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7601U Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I am using kernel 4.15.0.
I have tried all the methods mentioned by you. Except installing archived drivers because the way to install it is not clear.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi aditya02,

Looks like your system recognizes the USB WiFi adapter, so does your network manager shows various WiFi routers you can connect with?
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

phd21 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:59 am Hi aditya02,

Looks like your system recognizes the USB WiFi adapter, so does your network manager shows various WiFi routers you can connect with?
i cannot see any option to search for available wifi network and connect to it.
here are some screenshot that may help you understand my problem better.

bottom taskbar of screen:
Screenshot_2019-03-26_20-46-41.png

this happens when i run sudo service network-manager restart
Screenshot_2019-03-26_20-53-12-min.png

when i right click on wifi icon following option comes:
* Ethernet Network (in grey colour)
* disconnected (in grey colour)
* VPN Connections
* Enable Networking (and a checkbox which is checked by default)
* Connection Information (in grey colour)
* Edit Connections...
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Terrible wifi adapter problem.....

Post by aditya02 »

I did not get the proper solution.

Let me summarize my problem anew:
I have a terabyte 600mbps wifi n USB adapter.
Here it is:
https://www.amazon.in/Terabyte-USB-2-0- ... QRPM1QW53H

Here are the drivers I get with the adapter:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KkE8G ... rgaW8lUmZn

Output of inxi -Fxd (not complete)

Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: 2.33LK-NAPI port: e000 bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 40:8d:5c:20:b5:22
Device-2: Ralink MT7601U Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: usb-network bus ID: 1-120:120
Output of lsusb (complete)

Bus 002 Device 008: ID 04ca:0061 Lite-On Technology Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 413c:2107 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0781:5567 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Blade
Bus 001 Device 070: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7601U Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Here is the bottom taskbar of my desktop(with adapter plugged in):
Screenshot_2019-03-26_20-46-41.png
Screenshot_2019-03-26_20-46-41.png (33.47 KiB) Viewed 1530 times

when i right click on wifi icon following option comes:
* Ethernet Network (in grey colour)
* disconnected (in grey colour)
* VPN Connections
* Enable Networking (and a checkbox which is checked by default)
* Connection Information (in grey colour)
* Edit Connections...

When I run sudo service network-manager restart this happens:
Screenshot_2019-03-26_20-53-12-min.png
Screenshot_2019-03-26_20-53-12-min.png (65.48 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
Thanks in advance....
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Hi aditya02,

Several people who have much greater knowledge than I do, have tried to help. Nevertheless, here goes.

First of all, something very simple: you described what happens when you right-click the wifi icon in your tray.
What happens when you LEFT-click that same icon ? That is what I do on my 17.3 and 19.1 mate machines to see the list of available wifi networks. Then I can choose the one I want to connect to.

Would you try that first ?
IF THAT SHOWS WIFI NETWORKS, YOU ARE DONE ! Choose the one you want, enter password and enjoy!

If that does not work:
Are you sure there is not some key that disables wifi on your system ? My hp probook laptop has a "key"/light/switch above keyboard that "kills" wifi. If no wifi, it is orange color, if wifi if flickers blue/orange.
Also, is there no software "block" on wifi.
Try

rfkill list
This should tell you more about this

If that does not work:
Have you tried rebooting with the wifi usb dongle inserted before boot sequence ? Sometimes necessary kernel modules will only load correctly during boot sequence. Kernel cannot recognize hardware and install modules if there is no hardware. Sometimes it is only necessary to do this once. Later you can boot without dongle and insert it after mint-login. My usb bluetooth adapter was only recognized during boot with dongle inserted before boot, but was NOT recognized after initial simple insert/plug-in.

If that does not work:
Did some research on
linux Ralink MT7601U Wireless Adapter driver
Found a lot of people out there who have problems with this wifi-dongle.
Good info here:https://wikidevi.com/wiki/MediaTek_MT7601U
As of kernel 4.2 your wifi dongle should be recognized by the kernel itself.
Your lsusb output

Shows that hardware is supported by module mt7601u (148f:7601 is mentioned at bottom of wikidevi page, search "ralink").

BUT: (and I have a feeling/intuition that your problem lies here as you could not install drivers/firmware from manufacturer)

You might also need package linux-firmware-nonfree. It is in the standard repositories.

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
Or use synaptics package manager.
This package contains the file "mt7601u.bin". Dowloaded package and checked. OK. That is the firmware / driver that probably also is on the disk that came with your wifi dongle. But they gave you source- and make-files etc and expected you to compile them yourself. Possible, but difficult. I might be able to do it, but I'm not very confident...
Installing this package will install the firmware /driver in it's proper place. And already compiled for your Mint system. As a bonus, you get a lot of other drivers as well, which may come in handy in the future,,,
After installing this package, I would advise to reboot. May not be necessary, but cannot hurt.

If this still does not work.....
There IS an actively maintained site where you can download a .deb file. That is an option I would use only if AND ONLY IF nothing else works. And after backups of backups (Timeshift).
This .deb file blacklists the mt7601u module from the kernel and replaces the module with an alternative one (was created before kernel supported mt7601 but is still maintained even now). Doing this can make it more difficult to try other solutions because you would have to ininstall and reverse blacklisting. Timeshift again.
So please do not take this step lightly and do not blame me if this makes things worse. It is a big risk.
You can find it here: https://code.launchpad.net/~thopiekar/+ ... /+packages
Take care to choose the .deb file in the folder for Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic for your mint 19.1 or use this link.
https://code.launchpad.net/~thopiekar/+ ... .1_all.deb

NOTE again that installing this .deb file will blacklist the mt7601u module from the kernel !!!

Other things ubuntu users tried are even more difficult: https://askubuntu.com/questions/457061/ ... stallation

You could for instance, try to download the driver from mediatek (the wikidevi page mentioned earlier sends you there) from:
https://www.mediatek.com/products/broadbandWifi/mt7601u
But you would have to compile from source, just as with the firmware you showed on your google drive. That is rather complicated. and I hope you can avoid that.

Hope this helps,

Sorry for so much text.
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

thank you very much for the help.
you have provided many ways so i will try it one by one and let you know whether it worked or not.
by the way, i have started a new thread. Don't know why it gets continued in this thread.
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Hi, aditya02,

OK, my pleasure. Will see what you get,

But maybe first of all, could you install package linux-firmware-nonfree ?

That package contains the pre-compiled program that is also the result of compiling the source-files that came with your adapter. I thnk that is the main problem.

And it is very much in line with your original question: "Install tar.bz2 file..."

In one of your earlier posts you said:
I think as a Linux user I must know that how to install software with
tarball.
Well, I'm 58. Used linux since 1996 ? 7? Back then, I had to compile every single program. And we had something that was known as "dependency-hell". Memories of despair and hours...hours...trying to solve it. Usually in the nightly hours. Thanks, but I'm too old for that.

On top of that, every system/OS has it's own quirks and rules for compiling. This fixed thread on this forum comes to mind viewtopic.php?f=90&t=230142

So, yes, it is good to have the ability to compile from source in your "toolbox". But I try to avoid it as much as possible and use packages instead. That can mean a search sometimes. That is totally worth it.

If you are searching for a certain file, but do not know what package it is to be found in, this page can often help. For Ubuntu, but with info you get, you can search for mint equivalent. Or even use the Ubuntu-deb directly if you will forgive me this "sin". For Mint 19.x use only Ubuntu packages for bionic 18.04.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/

In your case, installing package linux-firmware-nonfree is MUCH easier than compiling from source.

Wish you good hunting !

Robert

PS:
aditya02 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:59 am i have started a new thread. Don't know why it gets continued in this thread.
It is against forum rules to start a new thread with the same question, so admins combined them. If you look carefully, you can see that your old thread has been "bumped" instead. That means that your old + new thread combined were brought up to the top of actual items again (where I found it) , not hidden somewhere on page 87 of newbie questions. I believe you can "bump" a question only ONE time, but you'll have to check that.
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

i got internet connection only on sundays. so i will try on sunday.
thanks...

Return to “Networking”