No network connection with Win10 dual boot

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brackj

No network connection with Win10 dual boot

Post by brackj »

Not sure this is the correct place to ask for assistance. I am rather new to Linux, on and off user due to frustration.

I recently dual booted with windows 10. Linux is on a different HDD and partition separate from my win 10 installation. Once install is completed I can get a network address, the NIC appears to be working as expected. At that point, in order to get the grub menu to work I have to run update-grub. Then when I reboot I get the option to select my win10 installation. Once I boot into windows 10, then go back to the Linux mint 19.1 Tessa the NIC never pulls a DHCP address. The icon stays looking like a circle until I finally get the disconnected notification.

What would cause this? I also tried setting a static IP in the /etc/network/interface using VI editor and rebooted. The NIC holds the IP but I still cannot get out to the internet, nor can I even ping my router.

My NIC is the integrated NIC on my motherboard. My MOBO is an Asus Maximus VI.

Any assistance would be appreciated. If i can get this figured out, and start using Linux as my main OS that would be awesome!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
qbit

Re: No network connection with Win10 dual boot

Post by qbit »

into windows 10, then go back to the Linux mint 19.1 Tessa the NIC never pulls a DHCP address.
Does this make a difference when you run a warm reboot, say from win to linux, or a cold boot with the dual option. When you coldly reboot your computer the mashine has to be turned off before, no boot from any running program

Have you inspected the network settings under linux before and after you have run win10?

Return to “Networking”