Broadcom 1016 wifi card

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Holmes177

Broadcom 1016 wifi card

Post by Holmes177 »

Just installed Mint Cinnamon 18.3 on a HP DV5000 laptop. Originally had XP. Been quite awhile since I did anything with Linux, but I had dealt with the Broadcom wireless issue before, so just went ahead & installed the B43 package from Synaptic Package Manager. Still no wireless card, so inspected the wireless card & it is not one of the BCM 43XX cards. ID on the card is QDS=BRCM1016, and imprinted in the circuit board is BCM94318MPG rev 4. I downloaded two different drivers to try from Broadcom, but have no idea how to install them on my laptop. Any help appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Broadcom 1016 wifi card

Post by JeremyB »

See the wireless script link in my signature and post results
Holmes177

Re: Broadcom 1016 wifi card

Post by Holmes177 »

Update: I ran sudo lshw -C network and the broadcom card was showing, but identified as "BCM 4318". Went back into Symantic & installed the b43 firmware installer, rebooted & it showed my wireless card available, but wouldn't allow it to turn ON. The blue "WiFi" light was lit on the laptop, but I pressed the button anyway(the light is integrated into the button to turn the wifi on/off) & what do you know?? Wireless connection available. Many thanks to this forum & all the members who support it.

Return to “Networking”