wifi won't re-enable

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

wifi won't re-enable

Post by cdaaawg »

Hi all. I'm running a fully updated LM 18.3 MATE 64-bit on an ASUS G60JX laptop that uses the ath9k driver to control the Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter. Everything had been working well untiI I used the function key (Fn+F2 on this laptop) to disable the wifi. I cannot get the wifi to re-enable no matter what I try. I tried pressing Fn+F2 to re-enable -- no go. Re-booting -- no go. Enabling via network-manager applet -- no go.

Code: Select all

lsmod |grep ath
ath9k, ath9k_common, ath9k_hw

sudo lshw -c network
*-network DISABLED
driver=ath9k driverversion=4.15.0-45-generic

Googling "How to re-enable Linux Mint wifi" has been fruitless.
I am unsure of how to proceed to get the wifi re-enabled. Any enlightenment on this issue is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Carl
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: wifi won't re-enable

Post by sleeper12 »

Is it Fn & F2?
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg »

sleeper12 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:51 pm Is it Fn & F2?
Sorry, I meant to say I pressed Fn + F2 to dis/enable. Regardless, when I press that key combination, wifi is non-functional. In the network-manager tray applet, "Enable WiFi" is checked, but no SSIDs are visible, but I do not get a notification that WiFi is disabled by hardware switch like I do on other notebook computers. Of course this being an ASUS ...

I checked "Enable WiFi" in the nm notification tray applet but when I reboot it is unchecked again, not sure if that gives any clue as to what may be happening. Regardless, when it is checked, no SSIDs show up. I will try using the iw- shell commands to enable and scan as well as ethtool to try some troubleshooting, but I have my doubts. By the way, can anyone recommend a good website for troubleshooting this problem? Thanks for any enlightenment.

Carl
Last edited by cdaaawg on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Best I can find is this command that seems to work for some, but not others:

sudo echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" >/etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf  
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg »

Hey sleeper12,
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, my machine is one where the fix doesn't work. BTW, where did you get that info, I'd like to see what more they have to say.
Thanks for any enlightenment.

Carl
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

cdaaawg wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:41 am Hey sleeper12,
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, my machine is one where the fix doesn't work. BTW, where did you get that info, I'd like to see what more they have to say.
Thanks for any enlightenment.

Carl
I saw it a few places, don't recall exactly where now. If you google the command, you may come across it.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Here's one place I found it:
viewtopic.php?t=171819

Return to “Networking”