Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED - Re: WiFi worries

Post by TriggerX » Mon May 13, 2019 7:31 am

Hi Sleeper12,

Thanks for the linkage. I also think that the button cell on the main board may have reached the endof its' useful life. AS has the actual battery. I am going to replace these and then. Try everything I can/have been advised to do.

ATB,

TriggerX
Last edited by TriggerX on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED - Could I be back in action soon? Formerly - Re: WiFi worries

Post by TriggerX » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:06 am

Hello to all that have helped in the past. I finally got a battery and cmos button cell for my Dell E6400, I really love that box. Back in April I tried to install a 64bit disc after having installed 32 bit from the CD. First the wifi was acting up and then I needed to source a proper batteries owing to them just failing in an untimely fashion. I tried to roll back to 32bit but (kicks own ass) now I have forgotten my password. I tried as many as I could remember. I'd be a bit miffed if I had to replace the SSD and start from scratch. The file that are in it though are valuable to me and I'd like to get back in. Maybe this is a big ask but I need to at least try to do it, hopefully it will be straightforward enough for me to follow. IF anyone can offer assistance at this stage I would be heartily grateful. I cannot find the 32bit CD that I had but will happily buy another if I cannot find the original. Is all lost? For me Linux rules and I so want to be able to be able to use that fine wee box again. Thanks in advance for any clue to how I try to tackle it. Please is the word I will finish this post on.
Last edited by TriggerX on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

Re: WiFi worries

Post by TriggerX » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:49 pm

Hello all! I decided to search everywhere and found the 32bit install CD. I had the usual wifi problem but installed the wifi drivers with sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source. It has all worked fine. I now have my favourite box running properly again and although I have lost my old files, I am not bothered really. Apparently this can happen and has done to some friends. I guess that I have gotten off lightly. I am happy to be back operating again, especially on this machine. I love the thing. It suits me just fine. Please consider this SOLVED. And, thanks to everyone that has helped me in the past. I'm minted again!!! 8)

sleeper12
Level 5
Level 5

Re: WiFi worries

Post by sleeper12 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:19 pm

8) , Go to your first post & add Solved to the subject line.

Return to “Wireless”