[SOLVED] Cannot connect to Wi-Fi on Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
achuso

[SOLVED] Cannot connect to Wi-Fi on Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Post by achuso »

Ayy! So I have a Macbook Air from early-2014 that I've been installing some distros on recently. On Linux Mint, after the installation, the computer decided not to connect to Wi-Fi. When I click on the Network icon on the task bar, it only shows me options "Network settings" and "Network connections".

Now, I've had the same problem with Manjaro, Kubuntu and Xubuntu, so I improvised and found modern solutions; before the installation of the OS, I used a Tenda Wireless Adaptor, because I was thinking "if I provide my computer with an internet connection and allow the installer to download 3rd party wireless drivers during the installation, I should be fine afterwards", which worked. But not for Linux Mint.

I searched for threads like these, and some of them concluded with "Mint doesn't support your drivers yet", which I don't think is the case here. All distros I've ever installed (except for Manjaro and Fedora) run on Ubuntu and I think whatever works on others should work on Mint. Amirite? (please don't prove me wrong, i really wanna feel like mr big brain :? )

So, before I admit defeat and switch to another viable distro, what are some methods that I could use to fix this issue at hand? Any help would be highly appreciated, thank you in advance! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
achuso

Re: Cannot connect to Wi-Fi on Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Post by achuso »

UPDATE: I'm a bit stupid, ahaha. Going to Driver Manager and checking the box next to bcmwl-kernel source and a reboot solved my problem.

Return to “Networking”