Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Sod Almighty
Level 1
Level 1

The wifi was working a week ago, and is not working now

Post by Sod Almighty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:21 pm

I installed Mint 19.1 64-bit on a colleague's HP (Stream 11-ak0501sa) netbook, and the wireless was working. A week later, it was not working. To the best of my knowledge, there have been no changes to the system during that time.

The network tray icon says "no network devices available". ip addr only lists the "lo" device. There is no ifconfig command.

I plugged a USB ethernet dongle into it, and that didn't work either. Exact same problem. I can confirm that the dongle works on other Mint systems.

The owner of the laptop is very tech-illiterate and would most certainly NOT have changed any settings, fiddled with configuration files or updated the kernel. In fact he's barely used it.

It is difficult for me to post large reams of diagnostic text or logs to this forum, because the laptop no longer has an internet connection. I would have to type everything longhand. That said, I can tell you that the wireless device is a Realtek RTL8822BE (10ec:b822) and the ethernet dongle is a Kontron DM9601 (0fe6:9700).

Can someone help me fix this please? And perhaps understand what the hell happened?
Last edited by Sod Almighty on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: The wifi was working a week ago, and is not working now

Post by Moem » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Sod Almighty wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:21 pm
It is difficult for me to post large reams of diagnostic text or logs to this forum, because the laptop no longer has an internet connection. I would have to type everything longhand.
Or you could save it as text files to a USB stick, and then post it from your own machine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Sod Almighty
Level 1
Level 1

Re: The wifi was working a week ago, and is not working now

Post by Sod Almighty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:27 pm

Moem wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:24 pm
Or you could save it as text files to a USB stick, and then post it from your own machine.
Well, yes. Still a pain, but doable.

Return to “Wireless”