How do I install wifi drivers without ethernet connection on dual boot?

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Js205
Level 1
Level 1

How do I install wifi drivers without ethernet connection on dual boot?

Post by Js205 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:15 am

I have a pci wifi adapter that requires realtek RTL8190 802.11n driver and I cant install it through the mint terminal because I cant connect my computer via ethernet cord is there any way I can install this driver off a usb after downloading it from windows? I cant find anything in the forums that got the job done any help would be appreceated

HAWR
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I install wifi drivers without ethernet connection on dual boot?

Post by HAWR » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:07 am

Hello Js205,

here is a forum link to your problem, which is marked as solved:

viewtopic.php?t=254343

I don't know, but I think you have a mobile phone, in this case preferentially an android one. This you can use for a temporarily internet connection by connecting it via USB-cable to your computer. Here you find a short explanation of the tethtering how-to.

https://darwinpedia.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... a-usb.html

Js205
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Js205 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:58 am

Neither of those work. Like I said I cant just plug in to the ethernet and download the driver and when I try to usb tether it says "usb not connected" even tho I'm getting a charge to my phone

HAWR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HAWR » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Hello Js205,

this PCI card is really a hard nut to crack. The only way I've found and which is mentioned in the linked forum thread is the way with ndiswrapper and the Windows driver. An how-to can be found on the help Ubuntu website:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper

On my 19.2 Cinnamon ndiswrapper is installed, so I think it is installed on your system, too. To find the possible window driver, it would be good to know, what computer, system and hardware you are using, so it could possibly be find on the manufacturer's website. Can you post the result of the following terminal command here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
And the output of

Code: Select all

lspci -n

Return to “Wireless”