Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
steveis2
Level 2
Level 2

PCIE Wireless network cards that work with LM 19.1

Post by steveis2 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi,
Can anyone suggest a wifi PCIE network cards that will work with LM 19.1 (Kernal 4.15.0-55)? I'm hoping the fact that it would have antenna might improve reception between it and the router beyond what my usb dadapter can do.

I've looked at various retailers web sites and seen a few that are said to work with Linux but often they refer to older kernals and so far everyone I've looked up on line hasn't seemd to actually be compatible currently. There doesn't seem to be a way to find out for certain what actual chip is on a card so you can look for a specifc driver.

It's too much to expect a list of compatible cards but if you have one that works I'd like to know what it's called.

Regards Steve

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: PCIE Wireless network cards that work with LM 19.1

Post by catweazel » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:09 am

steveis2 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:59 pm
It's too much to expect a list of compatible cards but if you have one that works I'd like to know what it's called.
Pretty much any Intel wireless PCIE card should function.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

steveis2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steveis2 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:08 am

catweazel wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:09 am
steveis2 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:59 pm
Pretty much any Intel wireless PCIE card should function.
Hi Thanks for your reply,
I wasn't able to buy an intel card that would go into a PCs pcie slot, they mainly now seem to fit into M2 slots but I bought a card from another manufacturer with an intel chip in it. It took a good while to find one. Once I had installed the card though I was quite startled to see that it worked immediately without all the usual tinkering I have had with usb dongles. And a stronger signal than the dongle. What a relief!
I got the card off Amazon with the brand name Hommie. Its got a 7265 intel chip in it.
Hommie AC1200Mbps Bluetooth 4.2 WiFi Card 5GHz/2.4GHz Dual-Band WiFi Adapter, Wireless Gigabit PCI Express. http://www.hommiehk.com

Great advice thanks.

Regards Steve

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:47 pm

steveis2 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:08 am
Great advice thanks.
:)
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı