Does using the same VPN account on a stock android phone and a linux laptop compromise my anonymity?

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SarangBhai
Level 1
Level 1

Does using the same VPN account on a stock android phone and a linux laptop compromise my anonymity?

Post by SarangBhai » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 am

I want to start using a VPN on my laptop and I'm wondering if I can use the same VPN on my android too. Since I use stock android with google services my phone is connected to my identity. To use the VPN on android I would have to enter the credentials provided by my VPN provider into the OpenVPN-App. Does that compromise the anonymity the VPN provides me on my linux laptop? Should I get a separate VPN account for my android phone?

LineageOS isn't really an option for me at the moment, because I almost bricked my phone trying to get lineage with microG flashed.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Does using the same VPN account on a stock android phone and a linux laptop compromise my anonymity?

Post by phd21 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:36 am

Hi SarangBhai,

Yes you should be able to use your VPN provider's servers on both your laptop and smartphones. And no, using your VPN provider on more than one computer or device does not compromise your security or anonymity. Most good VPN providers allow for multiple simultaneous connections per subscription usually 3-6 or more, but you will have to check with your VPN provider yourself for that exact number. And, if your hardware router supports VPNs, then you can add a VPN server to that and anything that connected to that router will be using only the one VPN connection. If your VPN provider allows for the creating of multiple user accounts, then if you wanted to, you could also create separate logins for each computer or device.

FYI Tip1: If you have a lot of Internet enabled computers and devices like smartphones, tablets, game consoles, security cameras, smart TVs and or smart Blu-ray players, even Internet enabled appliances and thermostats, and your hardware router supports VPNs, then setting up (configuring) your hardware router with a VPN server connection would be the best option and only uses one VPN connection for anything connected to it. If your hardware router does not support VPNs, anyone can easily get another hardware router or smart router that does support VPNs and use that.

FYI Tip2: Even if you have a hardware router that supports adding and using VPN provider servers, with portable computers like laptops, tablets, and smartphones, you still want to add and use your VPN provider's servers to those for when you are not at home and connecting to other Internet service providers (ISP, API routers) like your phone's service provider, business WiFi, other WiFi hotspots, restaurants, hotels, motels, airports, friends and family, etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Wireless”