[SOLVED] wifi not detected, newbie to mint please help HP LAPTOP REALTEK d723

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
naveenbp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: wifi not detected, newbie to mint please help, hp laptop realtek d723 driver

Post by naveenbp »

rjsrjs wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:30 am
naveenbp wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 am THANKS
Could you please identify what the "First Solution" is please.
BY FIRST SOLUTION [THIS WORKED FOR ME], I MEANT ITEM 8 & I AM ATTACHING THE WEBSITE GUIDE AS A CODE [TO SAVE SPACE]:

Code: Select all

If you have an RTL8822BE or RTL8723DE Realtek wifi chipset, you need the extended edition of the rtlwifi_new driver package from Larry Finger (lwfinger). Install it like this:

a. First establish internet connection by other means, for example by ethernet cable.

b. Launch a terminal window.
(You can launch a terminal window like this: *Click*)

c. Copy/paste the following command line into the terminal:

mokutil --sb-state

Press Enter. If it reports that Secure Boot is enabled: reboot and disable Secure Boot in the BIOS. In order to do this, you might need to set an administrator password in the BIOS first. Disabling Secure Boot is no loss: it adds no meaningful security anyway. It's primarily a means for Microsoft to enforce its vendor lock-in on your computer...

d. Copy/paste the following command line into the terminal, in order to download and install the required build packages (the building tools with which you're going to build the driver):

sudo apt-get install git build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Press Enter. Type your password when prompted. In Ubuntu this remains entirely invisible, not even dots will show when you type it, that's normal. In Mint this has changed: you'll see asterisks when you type. Press Enter again.

e. Download the actual driver (the construction kit) by means of git, with this command (use copy/paste):

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git

f. Copy/paste this line into the terminal, in order to enter the folder with the driver packages:

cd rtlwifi_new

Press Enter.

g. Activate the extended feature of the driver, with this command line (use copy/paste to transfer it to the terminal):

git checkout origin/extended -b extended

Press Enter.

h. Now you're going to compile the required kernel module from the driver package. For that, run this command:

make

i. Finally, install the compiled module with this command:

sudo make install

j. Now you're going to remove the folder with the driver packages, which has become useless (and can't be used for other kernels, as it has been tailored to your current kernel by "make"). With this command:

rm -v -R --interactive=never rtlwif*

k. Reboot your computer.

l. Your wifi should work well now: click on the icon of Network Manager in the system tray, in order to see the available wireless networks.

Note: do NOT install kernel updates or new kernels, because then you'll probably lose the driver again! So I advise to lock the current kernel
naveenbp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] wifi not detected, newbie to mint please help HP LAPTOP REALTEK d723

Post by naveenbp »

HAWR wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:55 am Hello naveenbp,

that are good news and you're welcome :)

Because of the signal strength first have a look at item 2 as linked above.
THANKS!! THE SIGNAL STRENGTH IS RECTIFIED WITH ITEM 2 AS SUGGESTED, I AM ATTACHING THE CODE HERE.
HOPE IT HELPS OTHER WITH SIMILAR ISSUES. THANKS @HAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Code: Select all

HP laptops with RTL8723BE or RTL8723DE chipsets: try antenna selection
2. Some HP laptops with Realtek WiFi chipsets have just one antenna on a Realtek card designed for two (stingy HP, anyone?). This has caused many problems for Linux users, as the default antenna is usually the missing one....

But thanks to Larry Finger and the good people at Realtek you can do some testing with a module parameter that allows for antenna selection. As follows:

a. Launch a terminal window.
(You can launch a terminal window like this: *Click*)

Note: [b] If you have an RTL8723DE chipset, then replace all instances of rtl8723be by rtl8723de.[/b]

PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE MENTIONED COMMANDS HERE FOR THE 723DE CHIPSET, IF YOU HAVE RTL8723BE CHIPSET YOU CAN COPY AND PASTE COMMANDS DIRECTLY FROM THE WEBSITE LINK [ITEM 2 AS SUGGESTED BY HAWR]

b. First unload the currently active module with this command (use copy/paste to transfer it into the terminal):

sudo modprobe -r rtl8723de

Press Enter. Type your password when prompted. In Ubuntu this remains entirely invisible, not even dots will show when you type it, that's normal. In Mint this has changed: you'll see asterisks when you type. Press Enter again.

c. Then reload it with the instruction to use antenna number 2, with this command:

sudo modprobe rtl8723de ant_sel=2

Press Enter.

d. Then check the signal strength with this command:

iwlist scan | egrep -i 'ssid|quality'

Press Enter.

e. Then test the the other antenna (number 1), to find out which one has a stronger signal. For this, execute the following three commands:

sudo modprobe -r rtl8723de

sudo modprobe rtl8723de ant_sel=1

iwlist scan | egrep -i 'ssid|quality'

f. If ant_sel=2 gives the best signal (which is usually the case), do this (this is one line, use copy/paste to transfer it to the terminal):

echo "options rtl8723de ant_sel=2" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723de.conf

Reboot your computer.

If ant_sel=1 gives the best signal (unusual, but not impossible), do this (this is one line, use copy/paste to transfer it to the terminal):

echo "options rtl8723de ant_sel=1" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723de.conf
IN MY LAPTOP, SIGNAL QUALITY WAS 70/70 FOR ant_sel=2

Return to “Networking”