Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TGPB
Level 1
Level 1

Turn Desktop into Hotspot from Tethered Phone Connection

Post by TGPB »

I have a unique phone service that allows me only one tethered or hotspot connection. I have no options for any other internet other than my phone. I have a dedicated phone for my home internet. I want to use the tethered connection that I use for my desktop computer that has Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 64-bit and turn this computer into a hotspot so i can stream movies that are on the desktop to other devices in the house.

I am currently using EasyTether for my tethered connection between the phone and desktop.

How do I turn the desktop into a hotspot with this connection? :?:
AZgl1500
Level 15
Level 15
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Turn Desktop into Hotspot from Tethered Phone Connection

Post by AZgl1500 »

Have you tried to use a WiFi Router to log into that Phone?

I have done that with a dodocool aprouter

https://www.dodocool.com/p-dc38weu.html

You connect a laptop to the LAN port on the dodocool router,
then set it up like this from my notebook:

1st connect LAN CAT-5 cable

2nd use browser to access http://ap.setup

3rd login, admin is both the username and password.

4th Click on Repeater Button

5th Select network SSID and enter security info.

it should work, but it don't most of the time,
have to repeat the process over and over..... maybe it is slow?

once you have done that, you will have WiFi access to multiple WiFi capable devices, cellphones, laptops, PCs, etc.

I carry that neat little device with me when travelling, and hotels have limited WiFi access, poor speeds, etc.

I use my cellphone as a hotspot and then we can have more than one laptop in our hotel room online.
As my notes explain, the little dodocool is cantankerous, but once it is setup right, it remembers forever.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon / ASUS FX705GM
TGPB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TGPB »

US version Currently unavailable

I tried an Asus router and it would not connect via hotspot or when tethered. If I can turn the desktop into a router I might find a work around on the one device restriction my carrier has on the phone.
AZgl1500
Level 15
Level 15
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

TGPB wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:03 pm
US version Currently unavailable

I tried an Asus router and it would not connect via hotspot or when tethered. If I can turn the desktop into a router I might find a work around on the one device restriction my carrier has on the phone.
many years ago, I used to use an app called "FoxFi" that made the Hotspot invisible to Verizon.
Back then I had Unlimited Data on Verizon but they would not let me have the same data unlimited to a computer.... big balls of crap, data is data and I argued with them over that. but they would not budge.

wonder if FoxFi is still available and, would it work on your cellphone?

hey, it is still available!!!
try it out
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oxfi&hl=en
A new WiFi Direct solution (free update) is now added to PdaNet for connecting computers or tablets in addition to USB tether. The legacy WiFi Hotspot solution remains in FoxFi. If the legacy FoxFi feature still works for your phone, it is still the best solution for sharing phone Internet since there is no limit on what kind of devices you can connect.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon / ASUS FX705GM

Return to “Wireless”