Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
EnthusOcn
Level 1
Level 1

Wifi on HP mini 110-1030CA

Post by EnthusOcn »

Hello,

I have an HP mini. Wireless worked flawlessly on Linux Mint ME Gnome 'Gloria' but not on Linux Mint CE KDE 'Gloria'. I don't really understand why. Following http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi I got to the part where I needed to get the driver. This confused me. I don't have the driver, but maybe I can get it off the internet. But if it COMES WITH the main edition of Linux Mint, why isn't it on here? Is the driver already on my system an I can just point to it, or do I have to hope that HP has it on their website. I'm going there now, but if someone could please tell me if it's already on my computer, that would be great.

Edit to add: HP has the driver, downloading it. But it's EXE so now I have to boot windows to extract the driver. Luckily, it comes with my mini and I left the partition there. Lucky me.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Wifi on HP mini 110-1030CA

Post by DrHu »

EnthusOcn wrote:But it's EXE so now I have to boot windows to extract the driver. Luckily, it comes with my mini and I left the partition there. Lucky me.
Apparently there are some issues with the network manager used (kde) in the kde version, and the suggestion is to use gnome-network manager as the network application.

Some info on using the windows wireless driver ..
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/HP2133
  • 8. Wireless Driver -- The new Broadcom STA driver works well for the BCM4312, and should work fine for different antennas in other models. However, it seems the Broadcom STA cannot connect to access points with hidden SSIDs. If you don't want to use restricted (closed-source) drivers, or you need to connect to a hidden SSID, ndiswrapper works fine. The below instructions were taken from the excellent tutorial here.

Notify! Make sure that the radio is not disabled from bios. Ohterwise wlan will not work (the device is detected, though) NOTE - If you have the 4GB SSD version of the Mini-Note, you may need a different driver! See the "Wireless Networking" section below.
Last edited by DrHu on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Wifi on HP mini 110-1030CA

Post by richyrich »

Sorry Dr Hu , but Mint 7 KDE CE Edition already uses the Gnome Network Manager.

Re: Gloria KDE CE. When?

Postby Boo on Sat May 30, 2009 6:09 pm
so i have had to add network-manager-gnome since the kde front end is no good for wifi.

Boo

Return to “Wireless”