Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Connected to router but no internet

Post by HAWR »

Hello Celine,

it can be that the system overwrites the changes from time to time, but I've found a way to make the entries permanent with a package called "resolvconf". It is installed on my LM system, but I don't know if it is by default. So please open the terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install resolvconf
Either it will be installed now or you will get a message that it is already installed.

To be on the safe side, make a copy of your actual file /etc/resolv.conf, so that you know, which entries are there.

cp /etc/resolv.conf /home/YOURUSERNAME/resolv.conf
After that run the following command

sudo nano /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
This file is normally blank and you can make your entries:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
options rotate

Save and close the file in the known way and reboot your computer. After LM is started, open the terminal again and run

cat /etc/resolv.conf
to see, whether the entries you made are the right one. Then try the internet. You can add other entries in the way described above if needed as for example the main router IP. Or if it doesn't work at all, you can undo the entries. Here is the website, where I have found the how-to:

https://linuxtutorials.net/how-to-make- ... buntu.html

Celine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Celine »

Hello HAWR,

Many thanks for your help.

I did exactly what you said. After the reboot, I typed cat /etc/resolv.conf, I got that:
# Generated by NetworkManager
search tlb sympatico ca
nameserver 127.0.0.53
and when I check again the files, I can see the entries I entered :?

Celine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Celine »

If I ping 8.8.8.8 in the terminal, I get:

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.0.177 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
and If I ping www.google.com, I get:

ping: www.google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello Celine,

I don't know why it doesn't work. So first, please run again

sudo nano /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
and delete all entries, save and close the file, so we are back at the beginning. Do you still have the installation medium (USB or DVD) of Linux Mint 19.2 or of another LM 19 version? If yes, please boot with it into a live session (just like you probably did before you installed LM 19.x) and check, whether you can connect to the internet.

Celine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Celine »

Hello HAWR,
How do you explain that I can connect to internet at a friend's place using her wifi and to my local library? (and that I was also able to surf the web for 30mn yesterday on my wifi).

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello Celine,

that you can connect to networks at another places is a hint, that it is maybe seems to be an issue related to the router or the wifi network it provides, or a wrong setting in your wifi network connection. I don't know, why you could access the internet yesterday for 20 minutes. Before you try it with the live session, go to the network connections and delete the wifi network you can connect but can't get internet. After that, reboot, connect new to the network and try the internet.

Celine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Celine »

Hello HAWR,

Finally coming back to you :oops:
As suggested, I tried connecting trough a Mint live session: wifi was saying "connected" but I had still no internet.

I was then convinced that the issue was not a hardware or driver one, but more a communication problem between my computer and the router.
In the end, I asked my landlord to get access to the router admin page and solved the problem. All I had to do was to select 20MHz for the wifi channel width and I was back online :D

Many thanks for your help & have a great weekend!

Celine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Celine »

FYI
Please check the settings in the router. WPA2-AES is preferred; not any WPA and WPA2 mixed mode and certainly not TKIP. Second, if your router is capable of N speeds, you may have better connectivity with a channel width of 20 MHz in the 2.4 GHz band instead of automatic 20/40 MHz, although it is likely to affect N speeds. I also have better luck with a fixed channel, either 1, 6 or 11, rather than automatic channel selection. Also, be certain the router is not set to use N speeds only; auto B, G and N is preferred. After making these changes, reboot the router.
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st13745699

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] Connected to router but no internet

Post by HAWR »

Hello Celine,

many thanks for this good news :) I always thought, it was a pity you don't have access to the router and now it's clear, why you once had 20 minutes of internet, because the router once happened to use the 20 MHz band.

I wish you great weekend, too, with a fully functionating wifi and thank you for your patience.

Return to “Wireless”