Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Venomdj2012
Level 1
Level 1

wifi not working

Post by Venomdj2012 »

hi all i have windows 10 installed on my asus laptop and i installed linux mint 19 along side windows however in windows i can use wifi but in linux i can not why is this? if i switch to windows i have no issues with the wifi but if i go back to linux mint 19 i can not even find a wifi icon of find a list of wifi to connect to. Please i need major help as this is my first time trying linux.

sleeper12
Level 11
Level 11

Re: wifi not working

Post by sleeper12 »

We need to see your system details:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz 

rfkill list 

mokutil --sb-state 

vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Re: wifi not working

Post by vishgaur »

It had many wifi related issues. It can be troubleshooted of course but before making you go through that hassle could you confirm that you want to use just 19.0 and not 19.3 or LM 20? If you could upgrade then please do a clean install. Also, I won't recommend dual boot (it will break some day for sure). Windows and Linux have different file systems and grub has a history to get broken due to windows 10. If your primary use is Windows 10 (gaming mmmm, yeah just gaming, if it is the main thing you do) then install Linux in virtual machine and if your primary use is Linux (you use windows for certain software - non graphic designing kind of that are heavy on graphics) then install Windows 10 on a virtual machine.

If you still want to dual boot and want to just use the current version of LM that you have for all of your future then post first the outcome of:

inxi -F
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com

Return to “Wireless”