Network: Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Lenovo driver: N/A po

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Network: Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Lenovo driver: N/A po

Post by SMG »

Your first post said:
sdivahar wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:35 pm
Due to some hard disk problem i installed Linux mint 20 after that Windows 10. During installation of Linux Mint 20 Wifi worked.
How was it working that time? Were you using the internal WiFi card or were you using the externel WiFi dongle?

Your initial post is also showing four network devices, one ethernet card, one wireless card (which is wireless/ bluetooth combo), and two USB adapters (one wireless and one bluetooth). Perhaps there is interference happening since there are three wireless devices.
sdivahar wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:35 pm
Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Lenovo
driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168
IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Lenovo
driver: N/A port: 3000 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 168c:0042
Device-3: Ralink MT7601U Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: mt7601u bus ID: 1-1.1:3
chip ID: 148f:7601
IF: wlxe84e063fe938 state: up mac: <filter>
Device-4: Qualcomm Atheros type: USB driver: btusb bus ID: 1-1.4:4 chip ID: 0cf3:e500
Or the other possibility is Device-4 is actually the bluetooth from the combo card and not USB and that error is somehow interfering.

I did searches last night and found results where some people were having problems getting WiFi with the card you have and for others it was working but slow speeds. There were some mentions of the possibility that bluetooth was interfering and trying turning off the bluetooth to get the wireless to work.

The driver information I found on GitHub (and on the Qualcomm site) requires using the code to build the drivers and it is several years old so I'm not sure it would work.
Last edited by SMG on Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
sleeper12
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Network: Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Lenovo driver: N/A po

Post by sleeper12 »

Yep, confusing. Maybe if he just unplugs the external devices, the wifi will work?
sdivahar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sdivahar »

My hard disk was corrupted (pre-installed Win10 & Debian) and I changed a new hard disk and lost my Win10 license. So, I decided to install Linux Mint only in new hard disk. During that time, WiFi was worked will. After a week's time I installed Win10 (later I noticed, it was incompatible bversion), after installation, win10 destroyed all my internal drivers (graphic card, WiFi, Bluetooth, volume, screen brightness...etc).
Then I freshly installed win10 only (washout all the exiting partition & os) to the latest version then I updated all the drivers, now it is working fine in win10.
Later I installed Linux mint alongside dual boot with win10. During installation and after that WiFi not working in Linux only. But working in win10.

I tried all GitHub installation and followed suggestions posted in the Linux mint forum. But, no WIFI....

QCA9377 is for Bluetooth & WiFi. But Bluetooth is working good. But not WiFi.

So, im using USB WIFI DONGLE ADAPTER.
sdivahar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sdivahar »

My hard disk was corrupted (pre-installed Win10 & Debian) and I changed a new hard disk and lost my Win10 license. So, I decided to install Linux Mint only in new hard disk. During that time, WiFi was worked will. After a week's time I installed Win10 (later I noticed, it was incompatible bversion), after installation, win10 destroyed all my internal drivers (graphic card, WiFi, Bluetooth, volume, screen brightness...etc).
Then I freshly installed win10 only (washout all the exiting partition & os) to the latest version then I updated all the drivers, now it is working fine in win10.
Later I installed Linux mint alongside dual boot with win10. During installation and after that WiFi not working in Linux only. But working in win10.

I tried all GitHub installation and followed suggestions posted in the Linux mint forum. But, no WIFI....

sleeper12
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sleeper12 »

Not to be rude, but I can't follow the story that seems to change with each post. Why not just use the wifi dongle then since it seems to work for you?
sleeper12
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sleeper12 »

The reason I say just use the dongle is because someone with the same QCA9377 card as you was getting poor performance with it on Mint 20. A dongle solved the problem. See here:
viewtopic.php?p=1866058#p1866058
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

sdivahar wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:52 pm

Thank you for the explanation. I now understand the flow. The experience I've heard on this forum is that Win10 must be installed first if you want to have a Win10-linux dual boot. Win10 just has to be king of the hill and installed first. I seem to recall reading about others who were having problems in Mint that they were not having in Windows. I think the Win10 installation changed a BIOS setting which had to be switched back and that fixed the issue?? but I don't recall the specifics. If I have time tomorrow I will do a few searches to see if I can find it. You might want to check how the BIOS options are set to see if there's anything there which might be related. I don't have Win10, so there's nothing specific I can recommend to look for other maybe there's some type of power-savings setting?.

(I was under the impression that Win10 licenses were tied to the firmware, rather than the hard drive, but I could be wrong about that.)
LM20.0 Cinnamon
sdivahar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sdivahar »

Thanks, I am also surfing the solutions daily.
sdivahar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sdivahar »

Today I completely "UNINSTALLED LINUX MINT and GRUB loader" from Windows 10 in proper manner and tried to install again in freshly allocated partition. During installation internal WiFi drover not detected. So, "MISSION ABORTED". Now, only windows 10... :(
sdivahar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sdivahar »

Today I completely "UNINSTALLED LINUX MINT and GRUB loader" from Windows 10 in proper manner and tried to install again in freshly allocated partition. During installation internal WiFi driver not detected. So, "MISSION ABORTED". Now, only windows 10... :(
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

Here are some things I found in my research today. Maybe something here will help.

There was a BIOS update in late July and I presume you installed it.

There is on this forum a [TUTORIAL] Installing Mint on a Windows 8/8.1/10 Computer. Some of the key points are making sure to disable secure boot before booting into Mint and to make sure fast start (quick boot) up is disabled (so when you shut down Win10 it actually shuts completely down and does not just go into hibernation mode). A lot of good information in the thread.

An interesting comment I found in this thread on a Sound Issue not working which I think relates back to quick boot:
I remember having a similar problem with a Windows/Linux dual boot. If I selected "Reboot" from Windows, some piece of hardware - it's been so long I can't remember which - wouldn't function properly. But if I completely powered down the computer and then turned it back on and booted to Linux, everything was fine. My theory was that Windows left the hardware in some screwy state that interfered with its proper operation in Linux, but powering down and back up would of course put the hardware back to normal. So, have you tried completely shutting down the computer and cold booting into Linux? Or, from Linux, rebooting into Linux? Any pattern turn up that way?

This link in an ubuntu forum about Qualcomm atheros qca9377 dropping wifi contains script to restart wifi.

I personally had to make changes in the BIOS for my HP laptop to get wireless working. Even though the light on the keyboard indicated I had wireless, I did not, no matter what I did, until I went into the BIOS. I can't recall exactly what I changed, but I seem to recall making sure everything I could find related to networking seemed enabled and powered.

And lastly if you computer has room for two drives put Win10 on one disk and LM on another. (a suggestion which I think was latter pages in the tutorial thread)
LM20.0 Cinnamon
sdivahar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sdivahar »

It means, I have to install both OS in UEFI (not Legacy).
Am I right?
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

sdivahar wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:10 am
It means, I have to install both OS in UEFI (not Legacy).
Am I right?
If your computer came with Windows 10 when you bought it, then I presume it uses EFI. I do not know what changes, if any, you may have made in BIOS/EFI as you went through the various installs of Windows and Linux. You did have problems with one of your Windows installs and I don't know enough about Win10 to understand what may have caused what you described. I don't think it is possible to boot Win10 in legacy mode, but I could be wrong.

If you are going to have both Win10 and LM20 on the same hard drive then you should have both of them using EFI based on my understanding of that setup. At this time I have zero personal experience with Win10/LM dual boots and can only go by what others have written about their experience.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
sdivahar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sdivahar »

Today, I formatted my laptop and freshly installed Win10 in UEFI boot, updated all the drive to the latest. And then trying to install Linux mint in same UEFI. But, during installation WiFi not detected. (Checked in setting "no WiFi drive available" & in Drive updat "no additional drive required").... What would be wrong in my installation method or in Laptop?
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

Can you please give us information about this install by entering this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
LM20.0 Cinnamon

Return to “Wireless”