Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
iRiKi
Level 1
Level 1

Wifi stops working on Mint 19.2 completely

Post by iRiKi »

Sorry to bump in, but I have the exact same issue, but on 19.2. - Cf. thread: Internet occasionally stops working on Linux Mint LMDE 4

I only use WiFi, and maybe once a day the network goes down mind you it's not "the internet" but all network, meaning I cannot reach (ping, telnet) other local hosts on the network.

Basically the fix is to toggle the "Wireless" button in NetworkManager, but the issue is, I don't know if I'm disconnected until I try to use the network and everything fails, meaning the NetworkManager wifi icon stays as it is connected. Not good.

I know how to fix the issue when it occurs, but what I'd really like to do is to troubleshoot the issue down to the driver level in order to detect what's happening. Can anyone shed some pointers here?

Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split off from an LMDE4 thread, where the issue was not the same. https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=249&t=328635
Larry78723
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Wifi stops working on Mint 19.2 completely

Post by Larry78723 »

Let's start with the following. Please post the results for each of the following commands. Here is how:

Open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-t). Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the following commands, one at a time.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxz

mokutil --sb-state	

rfkill list all

iwconfig

lsusb

lspci 
Mark the complete text output which each command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results for each command between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers.

The results will help us to help you.

Larry

Return to “Wireless”