Length of passkey

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FooIsFood

Length of passkey

Post by FooIsFood »

Hi,
I'm trying to setup Mint on a Mac. Evverything seems to work fine until I try to setup the wireless connectivity. I go through the necessary steps (via terminal) to create the conf file, but when I try to install it I get an invalid parameter message. I tried it through the GUI interface, but it only takes 59 characters for the passkey - mine is 63 characters and it would be painful to change the passcodes on all of my devices. Any ideas?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Length of passkey

Post by AZgl1800 »

why so long on your local WiFi?
that is going way overboard in my opinion....
I stick with the minimum needed, much easier to handle when something needs to be changed.

Just make it a mixed mumbo jumbo string
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
FooIsFood

Post by FooIsFood »

I kid you not, someone has been going around the neighborhood, parking near enough to get good WiFi coverage and hacking into the WiFi. It has happened to me and other people in my neighborhood, that's why the passkey is so long, I change it every month, so, next time I change it, I will use the max for Mint (which I think is 59 characters.)
Thanks for your help.
FooIsFood

Post by FooIsFood »

BTW - I also change the admin password on my modem/router, this seems to have stopped the problem. I am also contemplating changing the SSID randomly, so, they won't know if they are hacking the right WiFi - although, a good hacker could still get in - I know I can.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

the nearest road, or neighbor is more than 400 feet from my WiFi Router.
I doubt seriously anyone will be parking in front of my house, a big truck will run up their arse.... it is a Rural County road, not a residential street.

I change the SSID always,
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Networking”