Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
thecliguy
Level 1
Level 1

Connection stable using Ubuntu 19.10, but unstable with Linux Mint 19

Post by thecliguy »

Hi guys,

My PC is using Linux Mint 19, while my laptop is using Ubuntu 19.10. Usually with the various wireless hotspots (from Android phones) they both can connect ok. However, last week I installed a cable connection with hotspot and my PC just won't get along with the wifi from this hotspot. After connecting, in a few seconds the signal would drop from 80-90% to 20-40% and under, then after a few seconds back to strong, then to weak, and so on. Browsing the internet would then often fails with Server not found or Conncetion time out errors.

The new hotspot can connect my Ubuntu 19.10 with no problem.

Any clue to find the cause and solution for this problem is appreciated. I've tried upgrading to the newer kernel (see below). I've also tried disabling ipv6 as suggested in some forum thread, adding ant_sel=2 when loading the kernel module, as well as setting wifi.powersave from 3 to 2 [1]. All to no avail.

Laptop: Dell XPS 13, Ubuntu 19.10, kernel 5.3.0-65.

PC: Linux Mint 19, kernel 4.15.0-112 then upgraded to 5.3.0-68. Wireless adapter is USB device, kernel driver r8188eu.

[1] https://askubuntu.com/questions/1030653 ... -18-04-lts
Larry78723
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Connection stable using Ubuntu 19.10, but unstable with Linux Mint 19

Post by Larry78723 »

Without some technical info, it's impossible to diagnose. Please post the results for each of the following commands run on the PC. Here is how:

Open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-t). Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the following commands, one at a time.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxz

mokutil --sb-state	

rfkill list all

iwconfig

lsusb

lspci 
Mark the complete text output which each command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results for each command between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers.

The results will help us to help you.

Larry

Return to “Wireless”