Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
morrownr
Level 1
Level 1

USB WiFi Adapter Information

Post by morrownr »

Being a high risk person has limited my mobility for many months now due to the virus. In preparation for a project I have later this year, hopefully, I needed to learn Github. While trying to figure out the best way to make that happen, I decided to try to be of service to my fellow Mint/Ubuntu users by providing a good place to find out-of-kernel drivers and information about USB WiFi adapters. I've been working for several months now and the drivers have had a lot of testing at this point. The drivers and information can be found here:

https://github.com/morrownr

The USB-WiFi repo contains a lot of information to include links to many adapters that are available for purchase that use in-kernel drivers. My opinion is that many folks, especially inexperienced users, would be best served by buying good adapters that work with in-kernel drivers. If anyone has an adapter that works with in-kernel drivers and it is not already listed please forward me a link so that I can add it to the list.

If you already own an adapter that requires an out-of-kernel Realtek driver, this site has drivers that cover 9 chipsets. I consider the jewel of the drivers to be the one for the rtl8812au. If you have an adapter that uses this chipset, you want this driver, not the one included in Mint/Ubuntu (which is several years old.) Go check the date and additional features then test it out and tell me if I am correct.

Nick

Mods: you are welcome to sticky this message if you want.

Return to “Wireless”