Heavily fluctuating WiFi Speeds

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Goatman

Heavily fluctuating WiFi Speeds

Post by Goatman »

So I've just installed Mint ( Cinnamon) today.
Installed the additional Drivers, other then that it's still clean.

Well, the WiFi is a huge Mess. Once I have down Speed of 20Mbit/s, two Minutes later it's crawling with 20kbit/s.
The Network is fine. It works on any other Device as expected. Windows doesn't have any issues and the previous install of Ubuntu worked just fine on the Network as well.
On a wired Connection, it seems to work fine as well.

WiFi Chip: Realtek 8821CE.
Mint Version: 20.1; Cinnamon; 64 bit
For the Installation of the Network Driver (wich for some reason isn't aviable by default.....), I followed this german Post; the driver worked well on Ubuntu, so it should work here as well.
https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/wlan ... st-8985121
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hglee
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Heavily fluctuating WiFi Speeds

Post by hglee »

Goatman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:14 am WiFi Chip: Realtek 8821CE.
Mint Version: 20.1; Cinnamon; 64 bit
For the Installation of the Network Driver (wich for some reason isn't aviable by default.....), I followed this german Post; the driver worked well on Ubuntu, so it should work here as well.
https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/wlan ... st-8985121

You don't need third-party drivers, they're available in the Mint repository.

If no better idea: Remove those other drivers, then follow these instructions to install RTL8821CE drivers. Temporarily tether to a smartphone's wifi by USB, if need be.

Confirm that Secure Boot is disabled in your BIOS.

Disable wifi autosuspend: Open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), then copy-and-paste the following command...

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/3/2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
Reboot.

Still a problem? Launch System Reports, there click System information, then click on Copy.

Next, open a Post Reply here, then tap Ctl-V to paste your system information into the text window, and finally click Submit.

Linux Mint 21 Vanessa, MATE 1.26.0, kernel 5.15.0*, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 5825U / Barcelo iGPU - 14" WUXGA Touchscreen
MediaTek MT7921 WiFi-6 BT-5.2; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; XPG 2TB-NVMe

Return to “Networking”