Wifi pop-up window disable after removing gnome-keyring (only for some users)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vogelyc
Level 1
Level 1

Wifi pop-up window disable after removing gnome-keyring (only for some users)

Post by Vogelyc »

This is a follow-up question to one I made on UNIX Stackexchange forum

The question is: Why for some users the wifi window asking for passkey continues to show after removing gnome-keyring from the system and for others don't???

I still can't find a definetive solution for the problem I seek: I want to remove gnome-keyring from the system because sometime it show annoying during the use of the machine. But by doing so it seems that for some non privileged users I have on the system won't be able to connect wifi networks on the standard way because the windows asking passkey do not prompt. Workarounds are using ethernet or setting the network manually via "hidden wifi option" (even when SSID is actually not hidden) in order to get internet for this user.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Wifi pop-up window disable after removing gnome-keyring (only for some users)

Post by djph »

offhand, it sounds like "reinstall gnome-keyring" is the answer.

probably has something to do with the groups the various users are in (or other permissions that they have - such as permissions set in /etc/sudoers).
Vogelyc
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wifi pop-up window disable after removing gnome-keyring (only for some users)

Post by Vogelyc »

But I'd like solution other than have to reinstall the package and follow other instruction like setting master password or disabling stuff on the system configurations or opening applications for each machine (remember I am doing this on 40 students PCs - I am formating them, installing the new system MINT 19.3 XFCE, installing some needed softwares, create and manage the users, permissions and default autologin, etc, etc - the more I can set on terminal - like install or remove or grant permission - the better).

The only two standart packages I removed from the distribution were timeshift (cause it prompt window for backups) and gnome-keyring (cause it prompted window asking to set a master password and to manage passwords). I don't like things interrupting during the use of the computer and neither do my students.

is there another solution??

Return to “Networking”