Linux Mint 19.3 WiFi issue - WiFi won't connect to any network even with correct password

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AadityaMuley

Linux Mint 19.3 WiFi issue - WiFi won't connect to any network even with correct password

Post by AadityaMuley »

I have been using my Linux Mint 19.3 with kernel 5.4 for about 3-4 weeks now. After initial installation, I had to manually install WiFi drivers to get it running and it worked completely fine.
Now it is showing a weird error. It shows me all the WiFi networks available to connect but does not connect to any network even if the password I enter is correct. I tried this with 3 different networks to which it would previously connect and work just fine but it is not anymore. I have no idea how this happened too. I referred to other somewhat similar queries but none of those solutions worked for me.

Code: Select all

Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: alx v: kernel 
           port: 3000 bus ID: 08:00.0 
           IF: enp8s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Intel vendor: Bigfoot Networks driver: iwlwifi v: iwlwifi-stack-public:master:8324:9176b151 port: 3000 
           bus ID: 09:00.0 
           IF: wlp9s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-1: enp0s20f0u3u1 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint 19.3 WiFi issue - WiFi won't connect to any network even with correct password

Post by sleeper12 »

Try:

sudo service network-manager restart 
hglee
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 19.3 WiFi issue - WiFi won't connect to any network even with correct password

Post by hglee »

AadityaMuley wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:41 pm I have been using my Linux Mint 19.3 with kernel 5.4 for about 3-4 weeks now. After initial installation, I had to manually install WiFi drivers to get it running and it worked completely fine.
Now it is showing a weird error. It shows me all the WiFi networks available to connect but does not connect to any network even if the password I enter is correct.

Try the following NetworkManager configuration.

To access the connections configuration editor in Mint 20:
⎓ In Cinnamon, click the panel's NetworkManager icon, then click Network Connections, then double-click your network's name to configure.

⎓ In MATE and Xfce, right-click the panel's NetworkManager icon, then click Edit Connections, then double-click your network's name to configure.

⎓ To invoke the network connections editor GUI at a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T) command-line, run nm-connection-editor.

Then...
1) Under the General tab: Uncheck (deselect) All users may connect to this network. (Keep Connect Automatically with priority 0 checkmarked.)

2) Under the Wi-Fi tab: In the drop-down menu of the Band field, select the band frequency of your network, either A (5GHz) or B/G (2.4GHz).*

3) In the BSSID field, enter the IP address of your network Access Point (wifi router). There's more than one way to find this address -- such as connect your PC to the wifi network, directly or by tethering to a smartphone or by a dongle -- then click the drop-down menu of the BSSID field. The IP address looks something like 20:0D:4E:00:33:AA.

4) Save. Reboot.

*In bullet #2, for 802.11N (WiFi 4) select band B/G; for 802.11AC (WiFi 5) or 802.11AX (WiFi 6) select band A.

After you're getting reliable connections: If you'd like NetworkManager to sometimes change your MAC address, which can be seen by others online: Under the Wi-Fi tab, click the drop-down menu of Cloned MAC address to select Stable or Random. See MAC Address Spoofing in NetworkManager.

Linux Mint 21 Vanessa, MATE 1.26.0, kernel 5.15.0*, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 5825U / Barcelo iGPU - 14" WUXGA Touchscreen
MediaTek MT7921 WiFi-6 BT-5.2; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; XPG 2TB-NVMe
AadityaMuley

Post by AadityaMuley »

@sleeper12 @hglee I tried both of your solutions but they did not work.

I am not sure but maybe one of the following is causing some issues:
1. my lshw -C network only lists my Ethernet interface but no wireless interface
2. my rfkill list command returns the following:

1: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no
2: acer-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Hard blocked: no
3: phy0: Wireless LAN
Hard blocked: yes

maybe the blocked services are causing some problems?

My network cards are (Ethernet works just fine):

Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 2723 (rev 1a)
hglee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by hglee »

AadityaMuley wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:58 am @sleeper12 @hglee I tried both of your solutions but they did not work.

Let's install some useful diagnostic utilities:

Open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), copy-and-paste the following command-line, then tap Enter...

sudo apt install -y hwinfo sysfsutils wavemon; sudo rfkill unblock all

We need more technical info about your laptop:

Open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), then copy-and-paste the following long command-line...

(inxi -Fxxxz;lsusb -tv;iwconfig;lspci -nnk;(lsmod;dmesg)|egrep -i "wl|firm";rfkill;mokutil --sb-state) 2>&1|nc termbin.com 9999
After a brief pause, a termbin.com URL will appear in the Terminal. Post that URL in a reply here.

Linux Mint 21 Vanessa, MATE 1.26.0, kernel 5.15.0*, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 5825U / Barcelo iGPU - 14" WUXGA Touchscreen
MediaTek MT7921 WiFi-6 BT-5.2; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; XPG 2TB-NVMe

Return to “Networking”