Mint 20.1 DNS not working with browser (newb?)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tgunter

Mint 20.1 DNS not working with browser (newb?)

Post by tgunter »

Apologies if this is a newb question, I am working on Unix again after being in a Windows shop for years.

I upgraded to Linux Mint 20.1 from 19. Downloaded our company's globalprotect vpn client, logged into VPN, verified the connection by logging into jira / outlook. A few minutes later, it stopped working. I don't remember if I did anything during that time that could have broken the configuration, but I may have installed docker after the upgrade and before it stopped working?

I can log into VPN, I can ping my servers, but any company resource typed into the brower (jira.mycorp.com, outlook.mycorp.com) times out.

resolv.conf shows the following when I'm logged onto vpn:

Code: Select all

search mycorp.com
nameserver [correct ip address]
nameserver [another correct ip address]
But resolvectl shows the following. Shouldn't the DNS domain be mycorp.com instead of my ip provider?

Code: Select all

Link 2 (wlp2s0)
      Current Scopes: DNS                
DefaultRoute setting: yes                
       LLMNR setting: yes                
MulticastDNS setting: no                 
  DNSOverTLS setting: no                 
      DNSSEC setting: no                 
    DNSSEC supported: no                 
  Current DNS Server: 2001:558:feed::1   
         DNS Servers: 75.75.75.75        
                      2001:558:feed::1   
                      2001:558:feed::2   
          DNS Domain: ~.                 
                      hsd1.fl.comcast.net
I have heard that older routers may be incompatible with Linux Mint 20+?

journalctl -u systemd-resolved -f

Gives me:

Mar 29 16:47:44 tony-laptop systemd-resolved[5597]: Using degraded feature set (UDP) for DNS server 75.75.76.76.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mint 20.1 DNS not working with browser (newb?)

Post by Moonstone Man »

tgunter wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:00 pm Downloaded our company's globalprotect vpn client...
I use a corporate GlobalProtect VPN client, and if I had an issue, the last place I would ask for help is on an internet forum, and the first place I would ask is my company's ICT help desk. The reason for that is simple. To troubleshoot this you are going to need someone familiar with your network, and someone with at least some familiarity with GlobalProtect being willing to assist you. While not impossible, you likely won't get either of those here.
tgunter

Post by tgunter »

Thanks. Just didn't think it through completely ... if it's pinging, DNS is working.

Any idea what the degraded feature set message is about?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

tgunter wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:29 pm Any idea what the degraded feature set message is about?
A very quick google search will tell you just how complex an issue that is. You really need to deal with your company's ICT people.

Return to “Networking”