WD Mybooklive Duo Unable to locate

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darkdemon
Level 1
Level 1

WD Mybooklive Duo Unable to locate

Post by Darkdemon »

Hi,
Very new, lets just say in my day 1 infancy on Linux. Anyway, so far it is not too rough on me getting used to it coming from a Windows 10 standpoint. I am having a little problem with my NAS, I cannot seem to access it or even figure out how to get it to appear as it did in Windows. I do realize it is probably a whole different animal trying to get this to work as I had it in Windows but I am hoping it can.

So in Windows 10 I could map the NAS to simply act like another drive/folder from the My Computer window. Simply open the My Computer folder up scroll down to the network location and the file was there. In Linux, no clue how to get this accomplished. I have 0 experience with the terminal or its command line interface. But I do appreciate any help that can be thrown my way. Keep in mind if there is some information that I need to provide, you might have to give me a step by step instruction on how to get it from my system.

Anyway
Thank you in advance for even reading this post.
Dark
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hglee
Level 6
Level 6

Re: WD Mybooklive Duo Unable to locate

Post by hglee »

Darkdemon wrote:I have 0 experience with the terminal or its command line interface.

Being comfortable with the command-line is absolutely essential if you aim to do system admin.

The default Terminal in Mint/Ubuntu is the Bash macro-language processor. 'Bash' is an acronym for Bourne Again SHell.

Search online for Bash scripting tutorials, such as Bash Scripting Tutorial for Beginners.

Linux Mint 21 Vanessa, MATE 1.26.0, kernel 5.15.0*, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 5825U / Barcelo iGPU - 14" WUXGA Touchscreen
MediaTek MT7921 WiFi-6 BT-5.2; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; XPG 2TB-NVMe
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Open your file manager (nemo if cinnamon), can you browse to your nas via network (bottom of the panel to the left) and connect?
Screenshot from 2021-04-05 11-50-16.png
If not:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=322404&p=1831297&h ... 0#p1831297

What make/model of nas?

You can mount your nas via fstab (a file that gets loaded on boot that tells linux what devices to mount), e.g. I mount my nas at /media/synology, but sort out basic connectivity first.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Darkdemon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darkdemon »

Hi again,

First @hglee, I understand that using the command line is going to be a must, however when I made this post I literally just installed the Mint OS. I have had little to no time to learn anything.

@AndyMH, unfortunately no the only thing it lists in my network area is "Windows Network". I have a MyBookLiveDuo. I do have the ipaddress for my device, however it is setup for dynamic not static. I tried to adjust the settings to become static but it just keeps giving me an error and dropping it off my network altogether. So leaving it dynamic is my best option at the moment. In my many hours of trying to research this I did find something that referred to setting it up using its ipaddress but it did not give any directions or instructions as to how to accomplish this. I do appreciate the replies thought, thank you.

Return to “Networking”