My Computer isn't searching for networks

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
James01
Level 1
Level 1

My Computer isn't searching for networks

Post by James01 »

Hello all!
I'm having some issues with my computer (ASUS running mint 18.3). My computer isn't searching for any available networks and so it won't let me connect to ny kind of internet (WIFI or mobile hotspot).
I have been running linux on it since I got it 4 years ago and have never had this issue.
I have tried editing connections, rebooting the router, restarting my computer, turning wifi on and off but nothing seems to work.
I am also a newbie so I would appreciate if you could use simple / non-technical words...thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: My Computer isn't searching for networks

Post by JoeFootball »

James01 wrote: ... running mint 18.3 ...
Given that support for LM 18.x has ended, perhaps an install of a later version might be something to consider, instead of trying to get this one going. You could test the wireless via booting to a live session as well. But that's up to you. :)

Regardless, if you'd like to stay with your current install, someone with the knowledge to help would likely need the details of your system in order to assist. Please post the output of inxi -Fxxxrz, between "code" tags (it's the </> button on the post composer) so that it appears like this: [code]your output here[/code]
James01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by James01 »

Thanks a lot for your help! The only thing is I can't do that as I can't update anything or access this forum without internet on my laptop (i think...right?).
I'm currently on my phone and unless i take pictures of my computer screen I don't know how to share that information.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

James01 wrote: The only thing is I can't do that as I can't update anything or access this forum without internet on my laptop (i think...right?).
Perhaps a network cable plugged into the router? :)

Edit: Another option for your consideration, if you've made Timeshift archives, you could try to restore back to an instance where the wireless was working.

Return to “Networking”