Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Monty
Level 1
Level 1

Wifi is working great but I'm not sure why

Post by Monty » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:32 pm

First off I am very pleased. I've been looking for a Ubuntu based distro that would work with my wireless for a couple months. Nothing I have tried could I get to work. What I have is an Airlink AWLL3026 USB wireless device. I started the live CD, went to System>Admin>Networking and told it my network name and hit enable on the wireless device. Went to the network manager, told it to connect and I was connected. As simple as my current fav distro PCLinuxOS. So being quite impressed I went ahead and hit install since I was on my test laptop and overwrote the PCLinuxOS install on here (it's still on my main). Install went great. Rebooted and it did not recogonize my wireless card was installed. Pulled it out and plugged it back in and I was able to find it on lsusb and iwconfig. According to Network Manager though Networking is disabled and wireless isn't an option. In frustration I read though the wifi howtos and couldn't find my chipset as supported (ZD1211). I installed all the drivers as I knew somehow the live cd supported my device. Long story short (I know, too late) my wireless is working, I suppose it could have been all along. Here are my outputs and my question.

monty@monty-laptop:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

irda0 no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 802.11g zd1211 ESSID:"NETGEAR"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: xxxxxxxxxxxx (deleted Access Point, is there a security risk to posting this?)
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s
Link Quality=71/100 Signal level=73/100
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

monty@monty-laptop:~$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0ace:1215 ZyDAS
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
monty@monty-laptop:~$

So obviously the ZD1211 chipset is supported (someone run over to Ubuntu forums and tell them and you'll have a tidal wave of anxious users come running over).

Why does my networkmanager say networking is disabled? Is there a way I can fix this?

And mainly, thanks for an Ubuntu based distro that supports the ZD1211 USB wireless chipset apparently right off the bat. I expect I'll be hanging around this distro for a while to come.

Thanks! Monty

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:10 am

Is there any Network Manager expert around here? :)

Do you use DHCP? Is your network using encryption?

I have my Wifi card "not enabled" in System->Administration->Networking, no encryption on the network, and I use DHCP.. and Network Manager picks up my Wifi card at boot...

Clem

Monty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monty » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:59 am

clem wrote:Is there any Network Manager expert around here? :)

Do you use DHCP? Is your network using encryption?

I have my Wifi card "not enabled" in System->Administration->Networking, no encryption on the network, and I use DHCP.. and Network Manager picks up my Wifi card at boot...

Clem
Yes I used DHCP and no encryption, open and free to the world. After a couple hours of tinkering, I'm still impressed and happy my wifi works however it does 8)

Monty

Return to “Wireless”